countdown boutiques-francophones Learn more vpcflyout Furniture All-New Kindle Music Deals Store sports Tools Registry

Format: Paperback|Change

on April 13, 2016
There is a reason why this book is so famous! It is easy to read, and Carnegie has a knack for illustrating his point beautifully. It really goes into detail about how to get good responses from people, and how to make people want to be around you. If you have trouble with "rubbing people the wrong way" frequently, this is the book for you.

After a few chapters it becomes really clear that you get what you give, and it is definitely worth the read. I wish schools would have this as part of their curriculum! A parent who can pass on this knowledge to their children (and learn from it themselves) is one who can really influence their future happiness and success.
on July 23, 2016
After reading this book, I went online to look for any local courses offered by Dale Carnegie. It was a weekly 4hr course over a couple months. Essentially it was his books condensed into a course. Some people learn everything they need from reading, other people learn through full emersion and activities. I read the books, so I knew the material, but the course helped me anchor the material to experiences.
on December 15, 2013
I bought this because of people I know who have read it and gone onwards to successful business positions and because of the many reviews indicating that this book was the cause of improvements in careers. I don't know whether that will be the case for me.
The book is good. The language and examples are somewhat dated, which is not unexpected, but not so dated to sound irrelevant. I do believe that the lessons provided throughout the book are useful in daily interactions with other people, but many of them are fairly intuitive - don't criticize, admit your errors, etc.

Some of the advice would be useful to pretty much anyone who deals with other people in any capacity, if not in work, in home life, or in other social situations, or with customer service people we encounter. On the other hand, some of the advice lends itself better to people who work in a capacity as a leader over subordinate employees.

The kindle edition of this is easy to read but there are a number of typos and weird paragraph breaks - I'm not sure if these are also found in the printed text or not. Either way, they don't make it unreadable.

I probably will try consciously to put some of the practices that Carnegie espouses into action and see how it goes - I don't doubt that if practiced consciously and with dedication, my relationships likely will improve. Overall I'm giving this three stars because while it does provide good advice and it's always worth being reminded of ways to improve our interactions with others, most of it we would probably already know. That said, the book was $0.99 on kindle, so why not give it a chance?
on December 12, 2010
In my humble opinion the best self-help book ever published along with `Think and Grow Rich' of Napoleon Hill. I must confess that I don't like the title (which I believe sends the wrong idea), but Dale's insights are real, and you just have to put it into practice. While some critics think that it's manipulative, I believe that Dale's insights are nothing more than careful observations of the human mind and behaviour - in other words, the rules of the game. If you pay attention to it, you will understand yours and other people's nature. Applying it will not only help you to be more successful in your life but also how to become a better person. You will see that most of the things that you are suggested to do are simply things you wished others were doing to you. Thus, the book is not about how to coerce others to do things that they don't want. In contrary, it is about principle, balance and respect. Dale instructs you that just with a little bit of consideration, all parts can gain and you could still have your ideas/wishes going through.

What follows are the books' 6 major sections and core points. Keep it close with you because, although simple, they are easy to forget:

* Fundamental techniques in handling people:
1) Don't criticize, condemn, or complain
2) Give honest and sincere appreciation
3) Arouse in the other person an eager want

* Why some people are very likeable (or 6 ways to make people like you):
1) They are genuinely interested in other people
2) They are often smiling
3) They remember people's name. For them, this is the sweetest and most important sound in any language
4) They are great listeners. Often encourage others to talk about themselves
5) They always talk in the terms of the other person's interest
6) They make the other person feel important and do it sincerely

* 12 Ways to convince people to your way of thinking:
1) Avoid arguments
2) Show respect for the other person's opinions. Never tell someone that he or she is wrong
3) If you're wrong, admit it quickly and emphatically
8) Try honestly to see things from the other person's point of view
9) Sympathize with the other person
10) Appeal to noble motives
11) Dramatize your ideas
12) Throw down a challenge; don't talk negatively when a person is absent; talk only about the positive

* Be a Leader: how to stimulate change in people without giving offense or arousing resentment:
1) Begin with praise and honest appreciation

5) Pay little attentions
6) Be courteous
7) Read a good book on the sexual side of marriage
on November 24, 2014
I purchased this when I was trying out a home business, but I did not find it much good.

I have always been honoust, kind, look people in the eyes when talking and a good listener and that is basically what it comes down too.

If you try to manipulate a friendship or customers unless your a good actor, people see right through it and will not trust you, just the opposite of what you want
on January 6, 2016
I've known about this book for ages but never actually sat down to read it. Now I can understand why How to Win Friends & Influence People has sold so many copies and is a mainstay for a lot of personal libraries. It's easy to learn and understand the lessons within this book by how Dale Carnegie provides plenty of example situations where each has proven beneficial. It's crazy that this book was written so long ago; it still holds up to today.
on August 28, 2015
Very useful insight with regards to how people think. Psychology has always been my favorite subject and this book explores it beautifully.

Though it's not always obvious, but we all want to feel superior to one another. This fact alone breeds unacceptable attitude on both sides of the argument.

The first one to talk elegantly and with a cooperative style would always win, whereas the hard and brittle mindset will always be blown away by the strong winds of logic and kindess.

This book emphasizes Bruce Lee's saying: "Be shapeless, be formless, be 'water' my friend."

Just to give you a small taste...using the strategies in this book enabled me to talk to people with an elegance that I had lost before, boy was I surprised! The result was overwhelming to say the least!!! When I genuinely showed interest in other people, they would talk for nearly an hour and a half, and would give me what I want - because I had given them first what they wanted: a feeling of superiority or importance.

This book doesn't teach you how to be a sycophant, but rather, how to win people's hearts in simple said terms.

Highly, HIGHLY, recommended.
on October 29, 2014
A great guide for managing human relations even for people not in business. I have tried some of the techniques in this book and found them very helpful for improving relations with the people I encounter in my day to day life. Great advice that can be adapted to any situation where you must talk to other people.
on July 25, 2016
It helped boost my self confidence. I'm not there yet but I'm on the right track.

I'm looking for participants to take part in a short, anonymous survey about Amazon. It's for academic research and has ethics approval. To participate and for more details, please click this link. [...]

Thank you.
on August 12, 2016
I have socially anxiety disorder and have been shy my entire life. Personality wise, I'm also a bit socially and emotionally inept, so interacting with others in a positive way has often been frustrating and challenging for me. I wanted to work on my skills for professional reasons as I felt my lack of work relationships were holding be back. I found this book fairly helpful in self reflecting on my social skills and working on improving them by being more likeable. At times the suggestions came off as being a bit forced and fake but it truly does make a difference to fake it until you make it. Eventually, with practice some of the suggestions in the book came a bit more natural to me. This book won't turn you from a wallflower to a social butterfly but it can definitely help you to make meaningful relationships with those you meet. With some effort to push yourself out of your comfort zone and practice you will get what you put into it!