The Humanure Handbook: A Guide to Composting Human Manure, 3rd Edition Paperback – Sep 15 2005
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
"This is a cult classic which might strike those without an outhouse as disgusting. But the methods outlined within have the potential to change the ecological fate of the world."--New Yorker Magazine
"Despite all the books on manure and how to use it, human manure composting is not covered elsewhere, making the Humanure Handbook a fine reference for any who would learn these basics. If you're an avid composter, there's nothing like this on the market."--Midwest Book Review
"Finally we have a comprehensive book on recycling human excrement without chemicals, high technology, or pollution. Well written, practical, and thoroughly researched . . ."--Whole Earth Review
"Almost certain to become a classic in its field. This book should be required reading. . . ."--Countryside Journal
"We think The Humanure Handbook ranks right up there with Rachel Carson's Silent Spring . . ."--HortIdeas
About the Author
Joseph Jenkins, who climbed on his first slate roof in 1968 as a roofer’s helper, has since worked on over a thousand slate roofs. He is founder and executive director of the nonprofit Slate Roofing Contractors Association of North America, Inc., which is itself a member of the Germany-based International Federation for the Roofing Trades. Jenkins is a former board member of the National Slate Association. He conducts presentations about slate roofs in the US coast to coast, as well as internationally, and on radio and TV. Jenkins provides slate roof consulting services nationwide. He also provides roofing books and publications, slate roofing websites, videos, tools, materials and supplies via the internet. His websites include SlateExperts.com, SlateRoofWarehouse.com, and TraditionalRoofing.com. His two sons, who grew up on his roofing crew, now independently provide slate roof contracting services in northwestern Pennsylvania and northeastern Ohio.
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
While the author provides excellent detail about the issues with other ways of dealing with human waste and how to properly make use of your human manure, he uses this book as a podium for conspiracy theories and his own personal ideology (most of which is quite inane). He regularly contradicts himself; in one chapter attacking religion and praising science, and in the next chapter attacking science and praising a different religion.
Going in as a radical centrist, amateur historian and someone interested in science, it was easy to see exactly why he was refused publication. He spends nearly as much time dedicated to his own inane political ideology, conspiracy theory and attacking others as he does explaining human waste disposal.
If you just want to know how to compost human waste, this book is a colossal waste of money. Every detail the book provides on how to do it is provided online for free, as is just about all of the information on how other waste disposal systems are worse.
Most recent customer reviews
Now I know what to do with my poop. I also know what to do with my poop when I have a pond in a warmer climate.Published 7 months ago by Jenna C
Well written, funny, informative and helpful for an off-grid familyPublished 10 months ago by Jan Swaren
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Crafts, Hobbies & Home > Gardening & Horticulture > Techniques > Organic
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Current Events > Poverty > Social Services & Welfare
- Books > Professional & Technical > Engineering > Civil > Environmental
- Books > Professional & Technical > Professional Science > Agricultural Sciences > Soil Science
- Books > Professional & Technical > Professional Science > Biological Sciences > Ecology
- Books > Science & Math > Agricultural Sciences > Soil Science
- Books > Science & Math > Earth Sciences > Ecology
- Books > Science & Math > Environment > Conservation
- Books > Science & Math > Environment > Ecology
- Books > Science & Math > Environment > Recycling
- Books > Science & Math > Nature & Ecology > Conservation
- Books > Science & Math > Nature & Ecology > Environment > Conservation
- Books > Science & Math > Nature & Ecology > Environment > Ecology
- Books > Science & Math > Nature & Ecology > Environment > Recycling
- Books > Science & Math > Nature & Ecology > Reference