The Image Processing Handbook, Third Edition Hardcover – Oct 28 1998
There is a newer edition of this item:
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Praise for the previous editions: - Anna W. Ren, Head of Public Services, Northwestern University "Every person who uses computer image processing...who is planning to use image processing...who is involved in the purchase of computer systems or software that involve image processing...should read this book. And if you are not in one of the above groups, you might want to read it anyway." - Microscopy Research and Technique "An excellent book, not only for the entrant into image processing and analysis, but also as a reference for those who use these techniques on a daily basis." - P.G.T. Howell, University College London "This is a wonderful book on image processing...This book is an example of what an image processing book should be as Russ explains image processing the right way-through pictures." -Dwayne Phillips, Editor's Choice Review Service "a well-balanced volume that will find a place on many bookshelves but will not accumulate dust!already my favourite reference work for image processing!" - B. Batchelor, Cardiff University There are not many textbooks on image processing that can really be recommended to undergraduate students, but this is one of them." -Computing Reviews, February 1999 "The production quality of the volume is superbJohn Russ has succeeded in providing a book that meets the intended aim: to provide a self-instruction course on the fundamentals of image processing. I recommend this handbook to those who wish to explore the myriad techniques of digital image processing as well as performing measurements on the processed images." -Barry R. Masters, Journal of Microscopy, October 1999 --This text refers to an alternate Hardcover edition.
Top Customer Reviews
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
The book describes the steps necessary to convert raw images to meaningful numbers that characterize the subject. The process of image analysis - obtaining meaningful numeric information from images - typically requires several steps performed in sequence. According to Russ, one can use Photoshop or a compatible program in conjunction with the plug-ins in order to provide all of the necessary tools, but it is important for the user to understand them and when to use them.
The book outlines most of these essential tools. The book describes the purpose and value of adding and subtracting images to and from one another, thresholding on certain color values, measuring aspect ratios, calculating nearest neighbor distances, measuring perimeter and roundness, measuring total area of one feature or the area fraction of all features, plotting a histogram of color or feature distributions, and other tools that are necessary for the statistical analysis of images. In almost all cases, the functions described in the text apply directly to FoveaPro.
The tools presented and described in this text would be valuable to anyone who is trying to obtain data from a set of images. Image processing is used in facial recognition software, the measurement of microstructural features in metals, the identification of defects in retinal scans, the analysis of geological features in satellite and aerial images, and matching of finger prints. With this text, FoveaPro, and Photoshop, in conjunction with Photoshop's "batch" function and a program like Microsoft Excel, a person with intermediate computer experience can generate significant statistical data from an image database.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Computers & Technology > Computer Science > Circuitry > Communication & Signal Processing
- Books > Computers & Technology > Graphic Design
- Books > Computers & Technology > Web Development > Web Design > Web Graphics
- Books > Professional & Technical > Engineering > Bioengineering > Biotechnology
- Books > Professional & Technical > Engineering > Civil > Remote Sensing
- Books > Professional & Technical > Engineering > Computer Technology > Imaging Systems
- Books > Professional & Technical > Engineering > Electrical & Electronics > Electricity Principles
- Books > Professional & Technical > Engineering > Electrical & Electronics > Optics
- Books > Professional & Technical > Professional Science > Physics > Optics
- Books > Science & Math > Medicine > Special Topics > Biotechnology
- Books > Science & Math > Physics > Applied
- Books > Science & Math > Physics > Optics
- Books > Textbooks > Computer Science & Information Systems > Computer Science
- Books > Textbooks > Computer Science & Information Systems > Graphics & Visualization
- Books > Textbooks > Engineering > Electrical & Electronic Engineering
- Books > Textbooks > Medicine > Medicine > Biotechnology
- Books > Textbooks > Sciences