The Industrial Transformation of Subarctic Canada Paperback – Jan 1 2010
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Liza Piper captures with detail and insight an essential episode in northern environmental history ... in telling this story Piper provides an immensely valuable perspective not just on northern history, but on the practice of environmental history itself ... she also exhibits an impressive sensitivity for the meanings embedded in both action and language. But where she especially excels is in situating this history in a specific place, and in invoking its material basis in living organisms: lakes and rivers, water and ice, earth and fire. This history has dirt under its fingernails. -- Stephen Bocking Northern Review, Fall 2009
From the Inside Flap
This study of the history of human impact upon the North provides a baseline, grounded in historical and scientific evidence, for measuring environmental change in the Subarctic. Piper examines the sustainability of industrial economies, the value of resource exploitation in volatile ecosystems, and the human consequences of northern environmental change. She also addresses northern communities' historical resistance to external resource development and their fight for survival in the face of intensifying environmental and economic pressures.See all Product Description
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Business & Investing > Economics > Environmental Economics
- Books > Business & Investing > Economics > International
- Books > Business & Investing > Economics > Natural Resources
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Current Events > Environment & Natural Resources
- Books > Professional & Technical > Accounting & Finance > Economics > Natural Resources
- Books > Professional & Technical > Accounting & Finance > International > Economics
- Books > Professional & Technical > Engineering > Civil > Environmental
- Books > Science & Math > Nature & Ecology > Ecology > Living on the Land
- Books > Science & Math > Nature & Ecology > Natural Resources > Forests & Forestry
- Books > Travel > Canada
- Books > Travel > Specialty Travel > Ecotourism