Information Security: Principles and Practice Hardcover – Oct 28 2005
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
"…presents information security concepts and practices insightfully in an easily comprehensible style…Although primarily intended as a college course resource, this book will appeal also to many security professionals. Highly recommended." (CHOICE, April 2006)
"The book is well suited for beginners, and contains enough introductory material on a variety of topics." (Computing Reviews.com, January 9, 2006)
From the Back Cover
Your expert guide to information security
As businesses and consumers become more dependent on complex multinational information systems, the need to understand and devise sound information security systems has never been greater. This title takes a practical approach to information security by focusing on real-world examples. While not sidestepping the theory, the emphasis is on developing the skills and knowledge that security and information technology students and professionals need to face their challenges. The book is organized around four major themes:
- Cryptography: classic cryptosystems, symmetric key cryptography, public key cryptography, hash functions, random numbers, information hiding, and cryptanalysis
- Access control: authentication and authorization, password-based security, ACLs and capabilities, multilevel and multilateral security, covert channels and inference control, BLP and Biba's models, firewalls, and intrusion detection systems
- Protocols: simple authentication protocols, session keys, perfect forward secrecy, timestamps, SSL, IPSec, Kerberos, and GSM
- Software: flaws and malware, buffer overflows, viruses and worms, software reverse engineering, digital rights management, secure software development, and operating systems security
Additional features include numerous figures and tables to illustrate and clarify complex topics, as well as problemsranging from basic to challengingto help readers apply their newly developed skills. A solutions manual and a set of classroom-tested PowerPoint® slides will assist instructors in their course development. Students and professors in information technology, computer science, and engineering, and professionals working in the field will find this reference most useful to solve their information security issues.See all Product Description
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
The book is divided into four main parts: cryptography, access control, protocols, and software. The cryptography section introduces fascinating historical vignettes, then explores details of modern block and stream ciphers. The author includes an excellent chapter on cryptanalysis. He provides specific examples, using mathematics and Boolean logic. The access control section explains issues of policy and implementation, regarding authentication and authorization. The protocols section discusses specific mechanisms for secure exchange of confidential information. The final section describes management of software flaws and related security issues.
1.) More readable writing style.
2.) Non-essential theory and rigor removed.
3.) Some less traditional but interesting topics (ex: CAPTCHAs, DRM).
A few things that Bishop has that Stamp doesn't:
1.) Broader range of topics covered.
2.) Classic proofs and theory that Stamp omits for succinctness.
Let's be clear though. One text is not better than the other-- the authors simply have different aims. I suggest that a student use Stamp's book to ease into Information Security, and then to go Bishop when more information is required. For example, in my introductory course to Information Assurance, I used Stamp's book to answer 90% of all questions quickly and completely and Bishop's book to tackle the remaining 10%. If I ever get into the theory side of IA, I'll probably have to use Bishop more, but Stamp works great in most situations.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Computers & Technology > Certification Central > Exams > Security+
- Books > Computers & Technology > Hardware
- Books > Computers & Technology > Networking & Cloud Computing
- Books > Computers & Technology > Web Development > Security & Encryption > Encryption
- Books > Qualifying Textbooks - Fall 2007 > Computers & Internet
- Books > Textbooks > Computer Science & Information Systems