- Platform: Windows 98 / Me / XP, Mac OS X
- Media: CD-ROM
- Item Quantity: 1
Instant Immersion American Sign Language Deluxe
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.
From the Manufacturer
From the history of American Sign Language to hand positions for thousands of ASL words and phrases, this eight-CD-ROM software suite is packed with authoritative content developed in tandem with experienced ASL instructors, and features full-motion signing instruction for a wide array of real-life situations.
- Learn body and hand positioning for grammar and fingerspelling
- Video lessons and explanations of ASL phrase syntax improve beginners' foundation in ASL
- Hands-on ASL dictionary packed with over 6,000 words--plus synonyms and written sign movement descriptions for each entry
- ASL phrase guide offers real-life communication--over 600 phrases are introduced, with video demonstrations of each entry
- Complete reference guide provides overview of the scope and history of America's third most common language
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com
The deaf guy who looked at me like I'm crazy was from another part of the USA, and I'm told that signing can be different in different parts of the country. And just like our language evolves all the time, especially slang, this one evolves and changes MUCH faster.
If your interest continues beyond the basics, I would strongly recommend enrolling in a class at your local community college. It's really fun!
The only down side so far is sometimes a box appears when you are using cd2 (dictionary) and it tells you in order to watch the video insert cd3. This can be a minor nuisance but thankfully only happens once in a while. Has a great search tool as well. You just type in the word you want to sign and hit enter.
Overall I am very happy with it, especially for the money. Never ending words and phrases.
First off I'd like to point out that this is pretty much the same exact copy of Topic Entertainment's American Sign Language Deluxe as the other listings on Amazon. All of the copies are both Windows and Mac format, all on the same discs.
After copying the application to my local drive and running it, I would get a series of repeating errors, that would eventually lead to the application crashing. I sent in an email to Topic Entertainment's support group. Their response was that their title was only written with the intent of it only running on the system requirements printed on the box which is OSX 10.1 on a G4, and there were no plans to release an update for Leopard. They offered to return my copy for a refund if I wished.
Not wanting to take no as an answer, I fired up Windows XP SP2 through VMware Fusion and attempted to install the software. Worked like a charm, videos are just as crisp as I'd expect them running natively on the Mac and disc swapping works correctly. There was an error during the installation about my copy of Quicktime being newer then the version required and asked me to first uninstall it before restarting the ASL Deluxe installation, I clicked ok and the installation continued on as normal.
I should also note that I've gone through and created ISO disc images of all eight discs through Windows and am storing them locally on my drive so I don't have to lug around all of the discs at once. This works fine, VMware Fusion mounts ISO images without a problem.
The software its self is a little clunky. The first disc offers some written words about ASL. What you're buying is on the rest of the discs, a vast video library of others showing you words or phrases. I haven't played with it much past that, there are some games I haven't touched.
I'll update this review when I've had more of a chance to play with the software, but for now I wanted to throw up the issues I had installing under 10.5.
Look for similar items by category
- Software > Education & Reference > Foreign Languages > American Sign Language
- Software > Education & Reference > Foreign Languages > Universal Translator
- Software > Language & Travel > Foreign Language > American Sign Language
- Software > Language & Travel > Foreign Language > Universal Translator
- Software > Macintosh