- You'll save an extra 5% on Books purchased from Amazon.ca, now through July 29th. No code necessary, discount applied at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
Intellectual Disabilities Across the Lifespan (9th Edition) Hardcover – Mar 27 2006
Special Offers and Product Promotions
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
From the Back Cover
Intellectual Disabilites Across the Lifespan 9/e
Clifford J. Drew
Michael L. Hardman
Intellectual Disabilities Across the Lifespan, Ninth Edition, examines the true complexity of intellectual disabilities and their impact on a broad range of educational, psychological, and social issues in a readable, multidiciplinary, lifespan approach. This thorough, current, and research-based book stresses the human components of intellectual disabilities through the authors' rich, personal stories.
The new title of this classic text better reflects contemporary views of this disabilitiy and emphasizes the authors' commitment to focus on individuals with intellectual disabilities from conception through adulthood and aging. Additional features now include:
- Tips for the Professional strategies, which translate concepts into practical, real-world settings
- Parent and Professional Organization Positions on Key Issues In the Lives of People with Intellectual Disabilities features at the end of every chapter summarizing how organizations are addressing key issues in the field
- Greater emphasis on core concepts, professional standards, and competencies, establishing a clear connection between theory and practice
- A new section on genetics and prevention issues
- Increased emphasis on social supports as well as family supports for individuals with intellectual disabilities
- More applications through chapter previews, reflective questions, and chapter reviews
About the Author
Dr. Clifford J. Drew is a professor in Special Education and Educational Psychology at the University of Utah. He spent ten years in the Office of the Vice President for Academic Affairs and has been with the University of Utah since 1971. He has over 110 scholarly contributions, including books, chapters, and articles as well as national and international presentations; and more than $11 million in federal, state, and private sector grants to his credit. His articles have appeared in Exceptional Children, American Journal of Mental Deficiency, Psychology Reports, Psychonomic Science, Science, Mental Retardation, Journal of the School of Psychology, School of Psychology Review, Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, Journal of Learning Disabilities, and American Journal of Family Therapy, among others. His academic interests include research methods, human development and disabilities, applications of information technology, and outreach in higher education.
Dr. Michael L. Hardman's distinguished career includes positions at the University of Utah as Interim Senior Vice President (Provost) for Academic Affairs, Dean and Professor in the College of Education, University Coordinator for the Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Center for Community of Caring, associate dean for research, and chair of the Department of Special Education and the Department of Teaching and Learning. Other accomplishments include being appointed Governor's Representative to the California Advisory Commission on Special Education and serving as Senior Education Advisor to the Joseph P. Kennedy, Jr., Foundation in Washington, D.C. for 20 years, as past president of the Higher Education Consortium for Special Education, and on the International Board of Directors for the Council for Exceptional Children. He has directed or consulted on numerous international projects on school improvement for U.S. AID, the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development, and UNICEF. He has numerous publications in national journals and has authored several successful college textbooks. As a researcher, he has directed international and national demonstration projects in the areas of educational policy and reform, developmental disabilities, professional development, inclusive education, transition from school to adult life, and preparing tomorrow's leaders in special education.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Education & Reference > Schools & Teaching > Special Education
- Books > Health, Fitness & Dieting > Psychology & Counseling > Clinical Psychology
- Books > Health, Fitness & Dieting > Psychology & Counseling > Pathologies
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Special Groups > Disabled
- Books > Qualifying Textbooks - Fall 2007 > Education
- Books > Qualifying Textbooks - Fall 2007 > Social Sciences
- Books > Textbooks > Education > Special Education
- Books > Textbooks > Social Sciences > Psychology > Psychopathology