The Internet Playground: Children’s Access, Entertainment, and Mis-Education Paperback – Feb 26 2007
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
«‘The Internet Playground’ may well be the most important book you read this year. Ellen Seiter’s close-up study of two California school districts shows how the often-celebrated promotion of computer-based classroom instruction by profit-making firms actually imperils the education of our children and threatens the future of our democracy. Perhaps most important, she concludes with concrete and practical proposals for incorporating computers into educational settings in ways that will serve the needs of students and society alike.» (George Lipsitz, Author of ‘American Studies in a Moment of Danger’)
«‘The Internet Playground’ is a wake-up call in the importance of thinking seriously about relationships between media literacy training and computers in the classroom from one of the most significant contemporary scholars of children’s relationships with popular culture.» (Henry Jenkins, Professor of Comparative Media Studies, MIT)
About the Author
The Author: Ellen Seiter is Professor of Cinema-Television at the University of Southern California where she holds the Stephen K. Nenno Chair in television studies. She is the author of two other books about children and the media: Television and New Media Audiences and Sold Separately: Children and Parents in Consumer Culture.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
So what we are left with is the equivalent of commercials masquerading as education.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Children's Books
- Books > Computers & Technology > Computer Science
- Books > Computers & Technology > Internet & Social Media > Internet & Education
- Books > Computers & Technology > Networking & Cloud Computing > Internet, Groupware, & Telecommunications
- Books > Computers & Technology > Web Development
- Books > Education & Reference > Schools & Teaching > Instruction Methods
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Children's Studies
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Sociology > Marriage & Family
- Books > Professional & Technical > Engineering > Telecommunications
- Books > Textbooks > Computer Science & Information Systems
- Books > Textbooks > Education
- Books > Textbooks > Social Sciences > Sociology