An Introduction to Kolmogorov Complexity and Its Applications Hardcover – Feb 27 1997
There is a newer edition of this item:
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
"This is a great book. The other extant literature on Kolmogorov complexity is scattered, in need of translation, or otherwise hard to access. This book puts at all in one place in a readable, enjoyable style. In this second edition, the authors have added many new results that have been proven since the first edition was published in 1993." -- ACM's Computing Reviews
...provides a stimulating and welcome presentation that theory which deals with the quantity of information in individual objects...this book should be considered a must read for researchers and practitioners interested in maintaining an awareness of theories important to the advancement in finance. -- Randall. B. Caldwell, Journal of Computational Intelligence, FRANCE
From the Back Cover
Written by two experts in the field, this book is ideal for advanced undergraduate students, graduate students, and researchers in computer science, mathematics, cognitive sciences, philosophy, artificial intelligence, statistics, and physics. It is self-contained in that it contains the basic requirements from mathematics and computer science. Included are also numerous problem sets, comments, source references, and hints to solutions of problems, as well as a great deal of new material not included in the first edition.
Top Customer Reviews
This simple idea leads to a beautiful mathematical theory and a powerful tool as one can show that random objects have several interesting properties.
Li and Vitanyi have written this wonderful monograph on the area covering the depth of theory and applications not seen anywhere else. They give a clear and complete descriptions of many of the important concepts in the book. I have used this book twice in teaching graduate courses on the topic.
This book is a must have for anyone interested in a serious mathematical treatment of Kolmogorov complexity.
Most recent customer reviews
to understand it. This book is intended for serious students of computer science or those who have some similar training - it is definitely set up as a textbook. Read morePublished on Aug. 13 2002 by Zentao
This is one of the best-written mathematical texts I've read. It builds up the theory from basic principles, and illustrates it with numerous examples and applications. Read morePublished on July 30 1999
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Computers & Technology > Computer Science > Artificial Intelligence > Computer Mathematics
- Books > Computers & Technology > Networking & Cloud Computing > Networks, Protocols & APIs > Networks
- Books > Education & Reference
- Books > Professional & Technical > Professional Science > Mathematics > Applied
- Books > Professional & Technical > Professional Science > Mathematics > Pure Mathematics
- Books > Qualifying Textbooks - Fall 2007 > Computers & Internet
- Books > Qualifying Textbooks - Fall 2007 > Science
- Books > Science & Math > Mathematics > Applied > Probability & Statistics
- Books > Science & Math > Mathematics > Pure Mathematics > Logic
- Books > Textbooks > Computer Science & Information Systems > Computer Science
- Books > Textbooks > Sciences > Mathematics > Statistics