- Paperback: 224 pages
- Publisher: Hay House Inc. (Feb. 1 2009)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1401921477
- ISBN-13: 978-1401921477
- Product Dimensions: 13.2 x 1.4 x 19.7 cm
- Shipping Weight: 227 g
- Average Customer Review: 1 customer review
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: #214,779 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
It's the Thought That Counts: Why Mind Over Matter Really Works Paperback – Feb 1 2009
|New from||Used from|
Frequently bought together
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
About the Author
David R. Hamilton earned a Ph.D. in organic chemistry and subsequently worked as a scientist in the pharmaceutical industry. His research into the mind-body connection ultimately led him to leave that profession and become a motivational speaker. He went on to co-found an international relief charity, and he appears regularly in the media.
Customers who bought this item also bought
Showing 1-1 of 1 reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
Having realized the connection between our thoughts and our physical reality, the author fills the pages of ‘it’s the thought that counts’ with his life experiences and numerous scientific discoveries that ultimately allow the reader to improve their lives by making them aware of their inherent power. In David’s own words, “This book describes how our thoughts and feelings, ideas and beliefs, and hopes and dreams alter the condition of our bodies, the circumstances of our lives, and even the state of the world.”
The message that David shares is conveyed in a format that is straight forward and easily understood and yet he still provides sufficient ‘scientific truth’ to make the ideas credible. A small sampling of quotes from ‘it’s the thought that counts’ that I found illuminating:
• “Thoughts of care and compassion can induce changes in the immune system because they cause the production of neuropeptides that light up the receptors found on some immune cells, thereby switching them on.”
• “The latest scientific discoveries are revealing that every thought and feeling we ever have is expressed throughout our bodies.”
• “When a person is highly motivated, genes switch on, brain cells grow, and proteins are manufactured so that the person begins to evolve into the image of themselves that they are striving to become.”
• “You probably haven’t considered it, but every word you speak, on account of its vibration, affects your body and affects the body of any person hearing it.”
• “We are now recognizing that even DNA, the building block of life and holder of the genetic code, dances to the tune of the mind.”
• “Just as steam or hot water can be used to sculpt ice, so thoughts and feelings may sculpt atoms and molecules…”
For those wanting more detailed/evidential information on these ideas, the reference section at the back of the book is quite extensive, at over 22 pages in length, and there are also numerous books listed in the ‘Further Reading’ section.
Overall, I found ‘it’s the thought that counts’ to be a perfect blend of the ‘spiritual and ‘scientific’ and I found it to be a very objective and modern exploration of the age old idea that our thoughts have incredible power in shaping our lives.
Most helpful customer reviews on Amazon.com
This book provides scientific evidence to what I think we've always thought---that our thoughts have the power to alter ourselves, other people, the world around us. That we are all connected.
I have not finished this book yet but I find myself thinking more and more about how I want to live out the rest of my life. I want to make it count. And I want to do better for me, so that doing that will have a good effect on the people around me. I intend to give my parents a copy of this book because the things/lessons in this book are what they've been teaching me all my life. Of course when I was a kid I hated being told what to do and didn't think my parents knew any better. But having gone through the experiences I've had, I don't doubt their effect and how it's shaped me to be the person I am now, and what Dr. Hamilton says in this book reinforces what I've long thought of but found difficult to believe.
If you want to give a gift to anybody, I suggest giving them a copy of this book.
What i liked about it is the scientific and spiritual take
Also the author has covered almost everything in one book from genes to cells and the way our environment and perceptions affect our genes.and cells ..all in one book so after reading many other books on the same topic this was a brilliant summation of everything to do with thoughts.