- You'll save an extra 5% on Books purchased from Amazon.ca, now through July 29th. No code necessary, discount applied at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
James Wilson Morrice: Painter of Light and Shadow Paperback – May 26 2008
|New from||Used from|
Special Offers and Product Promotions
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
"Larson infuses Morrice's biography with colour and context, from snowy Montreal winters to crowded Parisian caf He presents a compelling and laudable portrait of a painter and his exciting milieu." (Fall/Winter 2008) (Montreal Review of Books)
"Wayne Larsen, a journalist, educator and landscape painter delivers in James Wilson Morrice another first-rate biography of an important Canadian artist." (CM Magazine)
James Wilson Morrice (1865–1924) was a Canadian painter of extraordinary passion and simplicity whose canvases and oil sketches are valued throughout the world and cherished in Canada as our first real examples of modern art.
Though cut short by chronic alcohol abuse, Morrice's restless bohemian life was spent in constant motion. From the colourful canals of Venice to the sun-drenched markets of North Africa to the snowy streets of Quebec City, he was, as his friend Henri Matisse described him, "always over hill and dale, a little like a migrating bird but without any very fixed landing place."
In James Wilson Morrice, Wayne Larsen chronicles the creative but often troubled life of this early cultural icon as he travels in search of the colours, compositions, and subtle effects of light that would inspire a revolution in Canadian art.
About the Author
Wayne Larsen is a Montreal-based newspaper editor, columnist, teacher, and landscape painter. Educated at Champlain College and Concordia University, he has written extensively on art and the media since his first byline in 1979. He is currently editor-in-chief of the Westmount Examiner and teaches in Concordia’s Faculty of Journalism.
Top Customer Reviews
Canadian Art Group, Toronto, Canada
and informative. Lots of info which was what I was looking for.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Arts & Photography > Artists, A-Z
- Books > Arts & Photography > History & Criticism > Regional > Canadian
- Books > Biographies & Memoirs > Arts & Literature > Artists, Architects & Photographers
- Books > Biographies & Memoirs > Arts & Literature > Entertainers
- Books > Biographies & Memoirs > Historical > Canadian
- Books > Biographies & Memoirs > Regional Canada > Quebec
- Books > Children's Books > Biographies > Canadian
- Books > History > Military > Canada
- Books > Humour & Entertainment > Music