- Actors: Penélope Cruz, Stefania Sandrelli, Anna Galiena, Juan Diego, Javier Bardem
- Directors: Bigas Luna
- Writers: Bigas Luna, Cuca Canals, Quim Monzó
- Producers: Andrés Vicente Gómez, Manuel Lombardero, Pepo Sol
- Format: NTSC, Import
- Number of tapes: 1
- MPAA Rating:
- Studio: Fox Lorber
- VHS Release Date: Nov. 11 1997
- Run Time: 95 minutes
- Average Customer Review: 3 customer reviews
- ASIN: 6304326297
Jamon Jamon [Import]
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.
Salted pork shanks as leitmotiv in a dark comedy about an absurd love triangle: this is what post-Franco cine is all about (food and sex). Spanish tortillas (i.e., potato omelets) are also big in this one. Director José Juan Bigas Luna's Jamón Jamón is intelligent, wry, and--despite the formulaic narrative that melodrama must essentially contain--unpredictable. At times his film exudes a certain Almodóvar flavor, but there is an edge, perhaps a heavy-handedness, to the dark humor that is either Luna's success or his downfall. The film garnered the Silver Lion at the Venice Film Festival, after all. Try to follow: sexy Penelope Cruz (Belle Epoque) is growing up with her mother outside town on the highway, on the wrong side of the highway. Together they run a truck stop where cars and life literally race past. Cruz is in love with Jordí Molla, by whom she is pregnant. Molla's bourgeois mother, played by Anna Galiena (Being Human), thinks he can and should do better. (Of course, neither Cruz nor his mother knows of the erotic, hmm, avian interludes Molla enjoys on the side.) To save her son from the lower classes, Galiena hires Javier Bardem, a muscular, pretty man (whose regular consumption of the pork he distributes for a living has enhanced his sexual appeal) to pursue Cruz. The dark comedy finds a proper ending to the triangle in a grotesque but comedic landscape of death. This is not a cookie-cutter movie but rather one that will resonate with both your light and dark sides. After each surprise, you'll chuckle, feel guilty, and chuckle again. --Erik Macki
Top Customer Reviews
The acting is great, especially by Bardem. The script has alot of subtle one-liners, and the sex and nudity is explicit and contributes to the anything goes atmosphere. So if you're looking for a fun dark/tragic comedy with lottsa sex, pick this one up.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com
Apparently it is not available in US NTSC format. However, this transfer is pretty decent quality if you have a multi-region player - with some caveats. It is delivered in the annoying letterbox format, a 16:9 image within a 4:3 frame.
On a 4:3 screen, the subtitles appear in the letterbox area, which is OK. However, on a widescreen TV, if you zoom in so that the image fills the screen, you lose the subtitles. If you stay zoomed out, you end up with a small image surrounded by black on all sides.
Look for similar items by category
- Movies & TV > Art House & International > By Genre > Comedy
- Movies & TV > Art House & International > By Genre > Drama
- Movies & TV > Art House & International > By Genre > Romance
- Movies & TV > Comedy
- Movies & TV > Drama > Love & Romance
- Video > Art House & International > By Country > Spain
- Video > Art House & International > European Cinema > Spain
- Video > Art House & International > General
- Video > Comedy > Satire
- Video > Special Interests > Sports > Olympics
- Video > Sports > Olympics