John Simon on Music: Criticism 1979-2005 Hardcover – Aug 30 2005
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
About the Author
John Simon (1925-) was born in Yugoslavia and awarded his PhD in comparative literature from Harvard University. He has written theatre, film, music, and book reviews for many eminent publications, inc. New York, Esquire, Hudson Review, Opera News, and the New York Times Book Review. He is a past winner of the George Jean Nathan Award and the George Polk Award for Film Criticism. He lives in New York City. Ned Rorem is the accomplished composer, diarist, and essayist.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
The book contains four big sections on Criticism from the 1970s, 80s, 90s and the 2,000s. Within each section there are reviews and essays that are arranged chronologically according to the dates they were originally published in the various magazines or newspapers for which Mr. Simon writes.
You will find Mr. Simon's writing to be erudite and a pleasure to read. His topics are far ranging, and he is able to see connections between his current subject and a wide range of past events.
Very enjoyable reading.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Arts & Photography > Performing Arts
- Books > Humour & Entertainment > Music > History & Criticism
- Books > Humour & Entertainment > Music > Instruments & Performers > Voice
- Books > Humour & Entertainment > Music > Theory, Composition & Performance > Composition
- Books > Humour & Entertainment > Music > Theory, Composition & Performance > Techniques