- You'll save an extra 5% on Books purchased from Amazon.ca, now through July 29th. No code necessary, discount applied at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
Journeys of a Lifetime: 500 of the World's Greatest Trips Hardcover – Oct 16 2007
|New from||Used from|
Special Offers and Product Promotions
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
The book is organized around nine themes as described thusly on the contents page:
1. Across Water (Unforgettable voyages, from luxury cruises to dugout canoes)
2. By Road (Chasing the horizon: legendary drives and secret detours)
3. By Rail (Watching the world pass by your window)
4. On Foot (The pleasures of the oldest and greenest mode of travel)
5. In Search of Culture (Life-enhancing odysseys for lovers of all the arts)
6. In Gourmet Heaven (Seeking out the world of flavors)
7. Into the Action (Hands-on adventures for those who'd rather do it for themselves)
8. Up and Away (Flights, skyways, and bird's-eye views)
9. In Their Footsteps (Pilgrimages for readers, dreamers, and history fans)
Typical trip choices are usually described in one or two pages with color photographs and maps taking up at least half of the space. An entry contains brief advice on when to go, how long the trips last, how far ahead to plan, special packing advice, and Web sites for more information. Highlights of such a trip are also briefly described so you can get a sense of what you'll see and do. Some trips are, however, listed in as little as a paragraph.
Naturally, you have to judge a book like this very carefully. By definition, you haven't taken most of the trips!
I looked at trips I've taken that were terrific and noticed some weaknesses in the advice. Here are a few examples:
1.Read more ›
The book is hard-bound with a glossy cover leaflet. Pages are glossy, with very good quality photos. Organization of journeys is by mode of transport: water, air, train, etc.
Great book for the coffee table, just to peruse, or as a starting point for planning your next trip destination.
Most recent customer reviews
A very thick informative book, lots more reading then I'd expected.Published 5 months ago by Amazon Customer
The shipping was very fast, as usually with Amazon, and the book arrived in excellent condition. The book is amazing.. I wish I could visit all the places they talk about !!Published on Jan. 25 2011 by Marie-eve Bernard