Kim Jong-il's Leadership of North Korea Hardcover – Nov 26 2008
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
About the Author
Jae-Cheon Lim is researcher at the Institute for Korean Unification studies, Yonsei University
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
What disappoints regarding Lim's study is what is missing. There is little attempt to define a prevailing political culture in North Korea or to offer an analysis of how Kim Jong-il views the world, as well as the manner in which these two dynamics affect such strategic issues as the acquisition of nuclear weapons. Nor is there any discussion of how Kim and his close family members (sister and brother-in-law, in particular) turned North Korea into one of the world's most unusual kleptocracies, one which has apparently gone so far as to sponsor state-run counterfeiting of U.S. currency. Lim's strengths are his meticulous research style and ability to put North Korean domestic political moves into historical context. Regarding matters that require more intuitive, synthesizing assessments, he appears to be less comfortable.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Biographies & Memoirs
- Books > History > Asia > Korea > North
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Politics
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Political Science > Leaders & Leadership
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Special Groups > Ethnic Studies
- Books > Textbooks > Social Sciences > Political Science