- Paperback: 470 pages
- Publisher: Oxford Paperbacks (Nov. 7 2008)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0199549664
- ISBN-13: 978-0199549665
- Product Dimensions: 19.3 x 2.8 x 12.7 cm
- Shipping Weight: 272 g
- Average Customer Review: Be the first to review this item
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: #2,072,117 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Lancelot of the Lake Paperback – Nov 7 2008
|New from||Used from|
|Paperback, Nov 7 2008||
Customers who bought this item also bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
"Behold the Dreamers" is an unforgettable debut novel about a family's struggle to make a new life in America from author Imbolo Mbue. Learn more
'Corley's new translation from the medieval original makes the tale nicely accessible to the modern reader' Peter Finch, Wales on Sunday
Most helpful customer reviews on Amazon.com
This version, however, is centered solely on the youthful adventures of Lancelot - how he was raised in the magical Lake, came to Camelot to be knighted, fell in love with the Queen, and made a name for himself while in her service. It covers the discovery of his name and his intense friendship with Galehaut, a man who literally gives up everything to secure the friendship of the title character. This early version of the story ends with Galehaut's death, and is not linked to the begetting of Galahad, the quest for the Grail, or the eventual fall of the Round Table.
The other drawback is that, in order to keep the edition inexpensive enough to meet the needs of the student, those segments of the romance not directly concerned with Lancelot (including a large number of adventures of Gawain, Hector, and Bors) are dealt with in short summaries rather than full translation.
However, until the full cycle is available in an expensive paperback series (the full Lancelot-Grail cycle was recently translated by a team of scholars, headed by Norris J. Lacy, as Lancelot-Grail: The Old French Arthurian Vulgate and Post-Vulgate Cycles in Translation, but only in hardcover at an outrageously scholarly edition price) this will fill the need for at least a taste of the original Lancelot story.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Ancient & Medieval Literature > Ancient & Classical
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Ancient & Medieval Literature > Medieval
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Classics
- Books > Literature & Fiction > History & Criticism > Movements & Periods > Medieval
- Books > Textbooks > Humanities > Literature