Language of Space Paperback – Nov 13 2001
|New from||Used from|
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
"…the content within The Language of Space is as relevant as ever – especially for students and professionals involved in planning and designing the built landscape, from interior designers to architects, planners to urban designers." – Erick Villagomez, Spacing Magazine
From the Publisher
This book views architectural and urban spaces as psychological, social and partly cultural phenomena. They accommodate, separate, structure, facilitate, heighten and even celebrate human spatial behaviour.See all Product Description
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
The topic, however, is mostly well-known stuff by designers and architects, who have been interested in how the built environment shapes our behaviour for millenia, literally. The classic studies by Jacobs ("Death and Life of Great American Cities") is a more recent (1960s) example of this concern.
In all (topic + author), I'd recommend this book to readers who are interested in design and architecture topics and are not fully familiar with Jacobs and all the subsequent work in envirmomental behaviour. This is a good place to do some catching-up.
It is also very much recommended to non-design people trying to understand that design is much more than 'styling' or superficial appearance.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Health, Fitness & Dieting > Psychology & Counseling > By Topic > Intelligence
- Books > Professional & Technical > Architecture > Drafting & Presentation
- Books > Professional & Technical > Architecture > Reference > Study & Teaching
- Books > Professional & Technical > Professional Science > Behavioural Sciences > Cognitive Psychology
- Books > Professional & Technical > Professional Science > Behavioural Sciences > Cognitive Science
- Books > Science & Math > Behavioural Sciences > Cognitive Psychology
- Books > Textbooks > Architecture
- Books > Textbooks > Humanities > Architecture
- Books > Textbooks > Social Sciences > Psychology > Cognitive Psychology