Language and Thought: Interdisciplinary Themes Paperback – Aug 13 1998
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
What is the place of language in human cognition? Do we sometimes think in natural language? Or is language for purposes of interpersonal communication only? Although these questions have been much debated in the past, they have almost dropped from sight in recent decades amongst those interested in the cognitive sciences. Language and thought is intended to persuade such people to think again. It brings together essays by a distinguished interdisciplinary team of philosophers and psychologists, who discuss various ways in which language may be implicated in human cognition.
About the Author
Peter Carruthers is Professor and Chair of the Philosophy Department at the University of Maryland College Park. He was until recently Professor of Philosophy at the University of Sheffield, where he founded and directed the Hang Seng Centre for Cognitive Studies. He is the author of Language, Thought and Consciousness (Cambridge, 1996), Phenomenal Consciousness: A Naturalistic Theory (Cambridge, 2000), and (with George Botterill) of The Philosophy of Psychology (Cambridge, 1999). He co-edited the previous three Hang Seng Centre volumes, Theories of Theories of Mind (Cambridge, 1996), Language and Thought (Cambridge, 1998) and Evolution and the Human Mind (Cambridge, 2000).
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Education & Reference > Foreign Language Study & Reference
- Books > Education & Reference > Words, Language & Grammar > Linguistics
- Books > Education & Reference > Words, Language & Grammar > Study & Teaching
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Philosophy > Ethics & Morality
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Philosophy > Logic & Language
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Linguistics > Applied
- Books > Textbooks > Humanities > Linguistics
- Books > Textbooks > Humanities > Philosophy > Ethics