Level Up!: The Guide to Great Video Game Design Paperback – Jul 6 2010
Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
From the Back Cover
Want to learn how to create cutting-edge video games? Need some advice to improve your current game? Then get ready to Level Up!
Scott Rogers, the video game designer behind hits such as Pac-Man World, God of WarTM, the Maximo Series, and SpongeBob SquarePants, shares his years of knowledge and experience with you on how to make video games great. Learn how to:
- Create what gamers want
- Bring compelling (and playable) characters to life
- Build game levels that tell stories and challenge players
- Design everything from controls to cutscenes to combat
- Structure your game documents for success
- Pitch your game like the professionals
Level Up! has been written with all levels of game designers in mind. Over 400 drawings illustrate design concepts and common pitfalls of game design, making Level Up! an indispensible guide for video game designers both 'in the field' and the classroom.
So what are you waiting for? Grab this book and prepare to Level Up!
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
Author has a real world experiences in gaming industry and he explains really well. (fun ways)
Particularly level 17(which is a chapter)... other game design book didn't explain it.
I suggest this book for this kind of readers.
1. no professional game design experience.
2. wanna see real world game design cases.
3. what publisher does and what you need to prepare. :|
4. I'm going to make a platformer.
but one thing is missing in this book. Normally game needs a data or formula for battle systems and it is really important too.
I have never seen a book that explain how to make a battle system, formula or set the proper data. Unfortunately this book has no information for it.
Most recent customer reviews
Really nice book. The game/level design finely well explained with the particular funny touch of Scott Rogers. I recommendPublished 22 months ago by Frédéric Carpentier
A Christmas present for my fourteen-year-old grandson. He gives it fives stars and said it explains a lot of things that he'd previously wondered about. Read morePublished on Feb. 12 2014 by Judy A. Ricketts
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Computers & Technology > Programming > Game Programming
- Books > Computers & Technology > Programming > Software Design, Testing & Engineering > Software Development
- Books > Humour & Entertainment
- Books > Textbooks > Computer Science & Information Systems > Graphics & Visualization
- Books > Textbooks > Computer Science & Information Systems > Software Design & Engineering