Life, money & illusion: Living on Earth as if we want to stay Paperback – 2006
There is a newer edition of this item:
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
In recent years, unchecked growth has brought us to the brink of economic and environmental collapse. Life, Money and Illusion was inspired by the dilemma of having an economic structure that has to grow to remain healthy, while facing the finite limits of our planet. This revised and updated edition launches a review of economic expansion. It examines how growth came to be a goal and how that goal, though once beneficial, is now the propellant for catastrophe. Then, by showing how the economy can be restructured to remain within planetary limits, it points the way to a sustainable future.
Life, Money and Illusion advocates change by shifting the dominant economic paradigm from growth to sustainability. Techniques include:
- Measuring progress with social and environmental indicators, along with economic ones
- Encouraging investment in community
- Practical changes such as full cost accounting, tax shifting and monetary reform
- Honoring the Golden Rule instead of the Rule of Gold
- Focusing more on living than on stuff.
An engaging and empowering vision of a future that celebrates humanity's extraordinary ability to adapt and evolve, Life, Money and Illusion will appeal to social activists, business people, students, environmentalists, financial planners, economists, parents, grandparents and anyone else with a stake in the future.
--This text refers to an alternate Paperback edition.
About the Author
Mike Nickerson is a longtime environmental activist, popular educator and the author of three books on sustainability including Bakavi: Change the World I Want to Stay On and Planning For Seven Generations: Guideposts for a Sustainable Future. He is a founding member of the Green Party of Canada and helped draft the Canada Well-Being Measurement Act. --This text refers to an alternate Paperback edition.
Top Customer Reviews
I was most intrigued with the chapter on Monetary Reform. Alternate currency systems are explored and the history of our present monetary system critiqued. A monetary system is analysed as having 2 essential functions and (optionally) 3 additional functions. The non-essential function, the speculative market, is described as a distraction from the "real economy". Three monetary systems are described. The Interest Bearing Monetary System is our present system. A Money System Requiring no Interest was experienced in Canada when the Bank of Canada was first established. Another system is the demurrage Monetary system with a storage rate or service charge on money saved. The merits and past uses of this system in essence have been cited.
In 1944, two proposals by Maynard Keynes and Harry Dexter White are briefly described. Some points are made of the consequence to the 1971 drop of the gold standard. Finally, brought to the reader's attention, a conference in Noordwijk ann Zee in the Netherlands in 2000 has drafted the Feasta Noordwijk Treaty designed for sustainability, stability and equity which is a proposal not yet acted upon.
The book also contains many Internet websites to view and a list of reference/further reading section.
If you are interested in the subject of money, including the way it is created, and would like to explore some practical alternatives to the present monetary system then I would definitely suggest reading 'The End of Money and the Future of Civilization' by Thomas Greco.
The End of Money and The Future of Civilization
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Business & Investing > Economics > Economic Policy & Development
- Books > Business & Investing > Economics > Environmental Economics
- Books > Business & Investing > Economics > Natural Resources
- Books > Business & Investing > Economics > Sustainable Development
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Political Science > Public Policy
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Sociology
- Books > Professional & Technical > Accounting & Finance > Economics > Economic Policy & Development
- Books > Professional & Technical > Accounting & Finance > Economics > Natural Resources
- Books > Professional & Technical > Accounting & Finance > Economics > Sustainable Development
- Books > Science & Math > Technology > Renewable Energy