- Student Exclusive: Amazon Prime Student members save 10% on all textbook purchases. Enter code TEXT10 at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
Lonely Planet Cantonese Phrasebook 3rd Ed.: 3rd Edition Paperback – Oct 1 1999
There is a newer edition of this item:
Back to University 2016
Save on College Prep Essentials on Amazon.ca. Shop now
Special Offers and Product Promotions
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Top Customer Reviews
Cantonese pronunciation is very complicated, and this book isn't very helpful in explaining it. The section that tries to give a broad introduction to the language is terrible. For example, early on it gives a list of 8 "useful verbs" which is missing staples like "to want" and "to have", and in fact only has about 3 that are even remotely useful. One of the listed verbs is "to trick" -- a word that every traveller struggling with a language wishes they could remember.
The majority of this book is organized by topic. Within each topic, it goes into too much depth to be able to find anything quickly, but being a small book it is not comprehensive at all. The dictionary section in the back is tiny and not very useful either.
My copy ended up in a trash can in Hong Kong a few days after I bought it.
The problem I found was that the book does not use the widely accepted Yale romanization. I've been collecting all kinds of books for the last year, and Yale seems to be the most easily understood and most intuitive romanization technique that I've found.
Overall, the book has a diverse collection of phrases and vocabulary. It is a good book to have in your Cantonese collection.
Most recent customer reviews
Have found this useful for basic phrases and general conversation, however for anything harder, I've had to go back to a more authoritative source, a native-Cantonese speaker to... Read morePublished on Oct. 10 2003 by B. Fang
For a small little book, there is a ton of information. Useful and fun. Great value.Published on July 25 2002
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Education & Reference > Foreign Language Study & Reference > Foreign Language Dictionaries & Thesauruses > Chinese
- Books > Education & Reference > Foreign Language Study & Reference > Instruction > Chinese
- Books > Education & Reference > Words, Language & Grammar > Linguistics
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Linguistics > Applied
- Books > Textbooks > Humanities > Foreign Languages > Chinese