Compare Offers on Amazon
Looney Tunes: Golden Collection, Volume 1
|Price:||CDN$ 30.00 & FREE Shipping on orders over CDN$ 35. Details|
Frequently Bought Together
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Looney Tunes: Golden Collection, The (DVD)
For years, animation buffs have waited impatiently for the Warner Bros. cartoons to appear on DVD. The Warner shorts never commanded the budgets and prestige of the Disney and MGM films, and won fewer Oscars than they deserved. But decades after the best ones were created, they remain the quintessential Hollywood cartoons: brash, fast-paced, aggressively funny and uniquely American. Virtually everyone in the U.S. under the age of 60 grew up on these films, in theaters and on TV. The 56 cartoons in the set (out of a studio output of over 1,000) were transferred from good prints--which means the viewer can see dust, scratches, and occasional mistakes by the cel painters. The films are all presented uncut, in defiance of the killjoys who have insisted on censoring alleged "violence" in the versions shown on television. Warner Bros. is obviously testing consumer response with this set. Although the erratic selection includes many classics, purists will argue (correctly) that it offers neither a fair representation of the directors' oeuvres, nor anything approaching a coherent history of the characters or studio style. (Nearly half the films were directed by Chuck Jones; only three are by Bob Clampett, and there's nothing by Tex Avery or Frank Tashlin.) But it seems petty to carp about omissions and biases when the discs offer excellent, uncensored prints of some of the funniest films ever made in the U.S.--or anywhere else. (Rated G, suitable for all ages: cartoon violence) --Charles Solomon
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Top Customer Reviews
1. The majority of the fifty-six motion pictures included are artistically valuable and the collection as a whole is a sheer delight which belongs in the library of anyone who loves classic cartoons. The set includes such masterpieces and popular favorites as "Duck Amuck", "Bully for Bugs", "Deduce You Say", "Fast and Furry-ous", "Long-Haired Hare", "Rabbit of Seville", "Rabbit Fire", "Rabbit Seasoning", "The Scarlet Pumpernickel", "Wabbit Twouble" and "Duck Dodgers in the 24-1/2 Century". All the films, even the weakest, deserve preservation, restoration and DVD availability.
2. The selection of complete shorts spans two decades (1940-59), according to year of initial theatrical release. This means that the heyday of Porky Pig (1936-39) is excluded, along with the historic Harman-Ising period (1930-33) and such early characters as Bosko, Buddy and Foxy. On the other hand, the set is also free of material from the Warner cartoon studio's years of decline (1960-64) and decay (1965-69).
3. Within the 1940-59 span is an intensive focus on the six-year "middle" period 1948-53, when the Warner cartoons were at their technical zenith. Fully half of the films in the collection were released during the three peak years of 1949-51 (ten in 1950 alone). The high degree of concentration allows for appreciation of the studio output of a particular era, lent contrast and variety by the broader context.
4.Read more ›
It's hard to believe, but Warner Brothers is reportedly not sure that these cartoons can sell. This set is a test to see whether DVD collectors are in the market for Looney Tunes fully restored and presented with in-depth extras. If the set sells well, there will be more big boxes like this one, with still more cartoons (including earlier classics that are still in the process of restoration). If it doesn't sell, all we'll get is bare-bones samplers aimed at kids alone.Read more ›
Whether you're a casual fan of Warner Brothers stable of cartoon crazies or a rabid die hard animation maniac, you need this set in your DVD library. It is quite simply the best collection of animated shorts that have been released in the format.
Spread across four discs are 56 beautifully restored animated shorts featuring Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, Porky Pig, Speedy Gonzalez and many other favorites from the Warner Brothers Studio's stable of characters. The shorts include such classics as "Rabbit of Seville", "Baseball Bugs," "Duck Amuck," Duck Dogers in the 24 1/2th Century," "Bugs Bunny and the Three Bears," "The Foghorn Leghorn" and the first appearance of Speedy Gonzalez in his eponymously named short.
The restoration work on these cartoons is amazing. The line art is crisp and sharp and colors pop off the screen. In addition, the set is decked out with a generous selection of extras including several documentaries, stills galleries, pencil tests and more. Twenty-six of the shorts have commentary tracks from the likes of animation historians Jerry Beck, Michael Barrier and Greg Ford, which fill in many behind-the-scenes details about the cartoons' creation. The glimpses of some of the wartime cartoons in the documentaries are enough to make you want more.
Even with the lavishness of the set, there are a few nits to be picked. Everyone will have a favorite cartoon or two that didn't make it onto the set. The selected shorts are weighted towards director Jones, who is represented by almost half of the set's 56 cartoons.Read more ›
Most recent customer reviews
Great buy! Same cartoons I saw when I was a kid will buy all the volumes for sure...Published 2 months ago by Daniel Beaudry
Everyhing is in there, from the beginning. What a great gift to do as the serie tends to be rare!!!Published 4 months ago by Madam
Look for similar items by category
- Movies & TV > Animation > Comedy
- Movies & TV > Animation > Feature Films
- Movies & TV > Animation > Kids & Family
- Movies & TV > Animation > Looney Tunes > All
- Movies & TV > Animation > Looney Tunes > Golden Collection
- Movies & TV > Anime & Manga
- Movies & TV > Classics > Comedy
- Movies & TV > Classics > Kids & Family
- Movies & TV > Comedy > Classic Comedies
- Movies & TV > Comedy > Kids & Family
- Movies & TV > Kids & Family > 3-6 Years > All Titles
- Movies & TV > Kids & Family > 7-9 Years > All Titles
- Movies & TV > Kids & Family > Animation
- Movies & TV > Kids & Family > Boxed Sets
- Movies & TV > Kids & Family > Classics
- Movies & TV > Kids & Family > Comedy
- Movies & TV > TV Shows
- Toys & Games > Grown-Up Toys