Compare Offers on Amazon
+ CDN$ 3.49 shipping
Loser / Corvette Bummer / Alcohol / Soul Suckin EP, Import, Maxi
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
|1. Loser (LP Version)|
|2. Corvette Bummer (Previously Unreleased)|
|3. Alcohol (Previously Unreleased)|
|4. Soul Suckin Jerk (Reject) (Previously Unreleased)|
|5. Fume (Previously Unreleased)|
Beck ~ Loser
Top Customer Reviews
1. Loser - Not much I can say here. the same old single we all know and love.
2. Corvette Bummer - Nice groove. I love the fact that despite being a "rap" song, most of the lines don't actually rhyme with each other, and yet it takes you a while for you to notice this because Beck makes it flow so well. Somehow I really like the way he's spitting out his "p's" in the vocal delivery. The ending is bizarre and hillarious as well.
3. alcohol - a pretty folk song about being drunk. This song has always kind of creeped me out in a way. I remember when I was 13 and accidentally played it on the jukebox because it was the b-side to "Loser" it freaked me out, especially that weird unexpected noise coda, and the line "if I stay in the same place, the animals will lick my face". Nowadays I'm somewhat used to weird noises leaping out of my stereo thanks to hearing a few residents albums, but it's still eerie, albeit in a good way.
4. Soul Sucking Jerk (Reject) - While the version of this song on mellow gold has it's own appeal in it's pure bizarre trippiness, I prefer the more straightforward funkier version found here. I love the bit towards the beginning where Beck announces "rockin' the town like a moldy crouton!", and the long funky organ solo (which is mostly why this version's longer). Only thing I don't like is that the verse order is switched around a bit, partially because it throws me off trying to sing along, and partially because it starts off with what I always thought to be the weakest verse lyrically.
5. fume - funny and yet kind of scary.Read more ›
The title track speaks for itself.
CORVETTE BUMMER is another rappy entry, but it is fair in comparison to its cousin tracks on Mellow Gold.
ALCOHOL is a beautifully slow, mellow song along the lines of Black Hole and Nobody's Fault But My Own. Some compare it to Steal My Body Home with its wonderful percussion coda.
SOUL SUCKING JERK is an alternative version of the Mellow Gold track of the same name that, while interesting, is inferior to that on the album.
Lastly, there is FUME. To be honest, this track is the reason as to why I purchased the single. It reflects the indie rock humor, sound, and lyrics of other Beck classics such as Satan Gave Me a Taco and Bogusflow, and, in the Beck tradition that he does at the end of his LPs, gets noisy in the end.
All in all, this is highly recommended to all Beck fans who appreciate all of Beck's sounds, old, new, and just plain obscure. You'd better order it online or find it in a good shop in the city, however, because this disc is rather hard to locate otherwise.
"CORVETTE BUMMER" has got a really good beat to it, while "ALCOHOL" has a cool pace to it and for the majority, is similar to MELLOW GOLD's "BLACKHOLE".
This version of "SOUL SUCKIN' JERK" is not a remix of the one you hear on MELLOW GOLD. More like just a different approach to the song using the same lyrics, but in a different music style. That, and it's a much longer version than the album version.
"FUME" is a great song. Awesome beat, great lyrics, and as usual with Beck and his last song, he has a little wait before going crazy on a melody.
I highly recommend this CD single to any Beck fanatic AND any music lover wanting to experiment!
Most recent customer reviews
I always thought this version was a lot better than the other one which ommitted Soul Sucking Jerk and Fume for MTV Makes Me Want to Smoke Crack. MTV Makes Me... Read morePublished on Dec 2 2005 by Adam Clark
Evidently, there are 2 versions of this single. I bought one way back in the day which has LOSER on it, accompanied by CORVETTE BUMMER and these two other UNBELIEVABLE songs! Read morePublished on May 17 2004 by T.A.
Best song ever written, dude!!!! DUUUUUUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!Published on Dec 2 2003 by C. J. Elder
This EP is absolutely perfect, I bought this based on hearing "Loser" on the radio again recently, and the best song on here has to be "Corvette Bummer", can't... Read morePublished on Nov. 7 2003 by Banned for life
"Loser" is the song that put Beck on the musical map and this EP (5 songs, 23 min.) is essential to any Beck fan's collection. Read morePublished on Aug. 9 2003 by Paul Allaer
I don't think this is the best Beck album to buy, that would be "Odelay", but this does have what is perhaps his best and most demented song to date. Read morePublished on Aug. 29 2002 by Ross Reynolds
another reviewer said this: "I'd advise picking this one up sooner than either of the two indie releases. Read morePublished on Nov. 19 2000 by Funkmeister G