I get it, Ove has had a raw deal in life. He's broken and unhappy and needs 'a village' to give his life meaning and to find a new purpose. I wanted to love this book, and while I enjoyed parts of it immensely, one recurring theme/event was disturbing to me. I really disliked the matter-of-fact and casual way the author handled a very touchy subject. For that reason, I kept putting the book down, and only finished it out of my usual 'reader's obligation'.
I won't give away the plot by explaining further, I just wish the 'elephant in the room' had been addressed very differently. That said, it's fictional, so one could argue I'm just being too sensitive about it.
- Format: Kindle Edition
- File Size: 1275 KB
- Print Length: 305 pages
- Page Numbers Source ISBN: 1444775790
- Publisher: Sceptre (July 3 2014)
- Sold by: Hachette Book Group
- Language: English
- ASIN: B00IYTOAXW
- Text-to-Speech: Enabled
- Word Wise: Enabled
- Customer Reviews: 18,739 customer ratings
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: #532 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?