Martyrdom & Politics of Religion: Progressive Catholicism in El Salvador's Civil War Paperback – Oct 17 1996
|New from||Used from|
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
"The author employs research that is both methodologically and conceptually innovative. She is working where the field of religion and politics in Latin America needs to be headed: research that focuses on the participants themselves and not just an institutional analysis of church and state." -- Michael A. Burdick, Center for the Study of Religion, University of California, Santa Barbara
"This is a revelatory work. The reader is provided with fresh and unusual insights. There are popular accounts of life and death in Central America but none, to my knowledge, that approach the subject from the theological depth which the author possesses." -- Edward L. Cleary, Providence College
From the Back Cover
Martyrdom and the Politics of Religion explores the ways that Salvadoran Catholics sought to make sense of political violence in their country in the 1970s and 1980s by constructing a theological ethics that could both explain repression in religious terms and propose specific responses to violence. Drawing on extensive fieldwork, the book highlights the ways that progressive Catholicism offered a justification and tools for political resistance in the face of extraordinary destruction.See all Product Description
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Christian Books & Bibles > Catholicism > Roman Catholicism
- Books > Christian Books & Bibles > Church History
- Books > Christian Books & Bibles > Theology > Bible
- Books > History > Americas > Central America > El Salvador
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Political Science
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Sociology > Religion
- Books > Religion & Spirituality > Religious Studies > Church & State
- Books > Religion & Spirituality > Religious Studies > Sociology