Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase One - Avengers Assembled (10-Disc Limited Edition Six-Movie Collector's Set) [Blu-ray]
Frequently Bought Together
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Blasphemy? Perhaps. But the best thing about what may be the most rousing and well-crafted superhero movie since The Dark Knight is not the boffo action scenes that culminate in a New York City-destroying finale that rivals Michael Bay's obliteration of the Chicago skyline in Transformers: Dark of the Moon. No, the real appeal of The Avengers comes from the quiet moments among a group of decidedly unquiet humans, extra-humans, mutants, and demigods. In no particular order those are Iron Man (Robert Downey Jr.), Thor (Chris Hemsworth), Captain America (Chris Evans), Bruce Banner/Hulk (Mark Ruffalo), Black Widow (Scarlett Johansson), Hawkeye (Jeremy Renner), S.H.I.E.L.D. world-government commander Nick Fury (Samuel L. Jackson), and indispensable functionary Agent Coulson (Clark Gregg). That's a superstar lineup both in and out of character, and The Avengers brilliantly integrates the cast of ensemble egos into a story that snaps and crackles--not to mention smashes, trashes, and destroys--at breakneck pace, never sacrificing visual dazzle or hard-earned story dynamics. Writer-director Joss Whedon is no slouch when it comes to being a comic geek and he handles the heavy duty reins with efficient panache. The effects are of course spectacular. They include a monstrous flying aircraft carrier that is home base to S.H.I.E.L.D. and Nick Fury's Avenger Initiative; Tony Stark's gleaming skyscraper in midtown Manhattan; off-world scenes of malignant evil; as well as blindingly apocalyptic fights and the above-mentioned showdown that leaves New York a virtual ruin. Yet it's the deeply personal conversations and confrontations among the very reluctant team of Avengers that makes the movie pop. Full of humor, snappy dialogue, and little asides that include inside jokes, eye rolls, and personal grudge matches, the script makes these superhumans real beings with sincere passion or feelings of disillusionment. The conviction of the actors as they fully commit to their clever lines gives credibility to what comes off as more than simple banter, even during the more incredible moments among them (of which are many). The plot involves the appearance of Loki, disgraced villain and brother of Thor, who was also a key player in his eponymous movie. Loki has come to Earth to retrieve the Tesseract, a blue-glowing energy cube that is valuable beyond compare to forces good and evil throughout the universe. As Loki, Tom Hiddleston is supremely, yea gloriously appealing as the brilliantly wicked regal charmer who captures minds from S.H.I.E.L.D. and attempts to conquer Earth with the hideous army at his command. To say he is foiled is an understatement. His face-off with the Hulk is one of the giddiest moments in a movie filled with lightheaded mayhem, and is a perfect example of Whedon's throwaway approach to translating the mythic mystique of the Marvel comics universe. Though at times deadly serious (as deadly serious as an outrageous superhero destructo/fight-fest movie can be, that is), The Avengers is best when it lightens up and lets the fun fly alongside the powerhouse punches. By the way, a single blink-and-you'll-miss-it powerhouse punch is another moment that makes Hulk the most loveable underdog of a smashing green rage monster ever. That spirit of fun and pure adventure makes The Avengers the greatest kind of escapist Hollywood fantasy $250 million can buy. A blockbuster in the most literal sense. --Ted Fry
Limited Edition collection includes:
- Marvel’s The Avengers (Blu-ray 3D and Blu-ray)
- Captain America: The First Avenger (Blu-ray 3D and Blu-ray)
- Thor (Blu-ray 3D and Blu-ray)
- Iron Man 2 (Blu-ray)
- The Incredible Hulk (Blu-ray)
- Iron Man (Blu-ray)
- Bonus Disc - “The Phase One Archives” (Blu-ray)
- Collectible packaging with exclusive memorabilia from the Marvel Cinematic Universe
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Top Customer Reviews
|Length: 2:16 Mins|
This set is great for Marvel fans - all the movies are high-quality entertainment. If you do not already own these movies, then this set is perfect for you because it's all the movies in one box set. But if you already own some or all of the movies, the big question is: should I also buy this briefcase set? Well, here are my thoughts:
- The blu-ray discs included are identical to the ones found in the previous individual releases of the films. Picture and Audio quality is very good.
- For those interested in 3D, the 3D versions of "Thor", "Captain America", and "The Avengers" are included.
- If you already owned the 2-disc Special Editions of "Iron Man" or "Iron Man 2", you might want to keep the special features/bonus discs from those sets. Unfortunately, this briefcase set only includes the one movie disc for those films.
- There is a SHIELD Bonus Disc exclusive to this set... it contains about an hour of deleted scenes and pre-visualization sequences. I expected there to be so much more bonus content - I would have liked to see more interviews, featurettes, VFX breakdowns, etc.
- No DVDs or Digital Copies included. This is a bit surprising, because the individual Marvel releases always included those.
- The briefcase feels a bit cheaper than I would have liked. It has a nice finish and is fine to look at, but once you pick it up it lacks weight and doesn't feel very durable.
- The Tesseract (cube) itself lights up when you tap it against your palm. The briefcase also lights up via a button on the outside of the briefcase, or whenever it is opened.Read more ›
This is a great item to display in your Marvel fancave and the only reason it didn't get 5 stars is because some items (mainly the files) were not in mint condition at reception.
- the case itself feels kind of cheap\fragile
- the Tesseract is a cool idea but the execution could have been more elaborated (it is just a plastic cube in the end)
- no Bonus Discs for Ironman 1 & 2...and this is a big let down: it is the Marvel Phase One definitive box: it should have EVERYTHING Marvel Cinematic Universe related, including the extra special dvd released in Target only
- the access to the "special hidden website" should have had a better reward: still the very first look at upcoming MCU movies but not updated new (latest from soon to be released movies such as Cap America 2 or GotG)
still, for someone who didn't have most movies before, it is a must collectible!
Most recent customer reviews
Great Collectors Piece. Fab detail, excellent extras. 4/5 as the discs are in soft cardboard sleeves and they are already bent and damaged just from unpacking, so manufacturing... Read morePublished 8 months ago by VicHam
Incedible piece. The briefcase itself is a strong plastic, but what really matters is inside. The artwork for the disc cases is beautiful. The files are very good quality. Read morePublished 8 months ago by Hayden
Great product in a snazzy set that's perfect if you're just starting your Marvel bluray collection. However, paying over $100 for this item doesn't really net U any extras (despite... Read morePublished 8 months ago by Dylan Austin
Look for similar items by category
- Movies & TV > Action & Adventure > Action Stars > Samuel L. Jackson
- Movies & TV > Action & Adventure > Science Fiction
- Movies & TV > Action & Adventure > Superheroes
- Movies & TV > En français
- Movies & TV > Mystery & Suspense
- Movies & TV > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy
- Movies & TV > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction