- You'll save an extra 5% on Books purchased from Amazon.ca, now through July 29th. No code necessary, discount applied at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
Mass Spectrometry: A Textbook Hardcover – Apr 6 2011
|New from||Used from|
Special Offers and Product Promotions
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
From the reviews of the second edition:
“The expansive range of topics in mass spectrometry is well surveyed in this large volume. Gross … manages extraordinary breadth and adequate depth, delving into classical and current topics in theory, instrumentation, and applications. This work serves as a useful reference for those in the field … but also functions effectively as a textbook, with ‘Learning Objectives’ for each chapter and several appendixes outlining step-by-step approaches for students to solve problems. … Summing Up: Recommended. Upper-division undergraduates and above.” (E. J. Chang, Choice, Vol. 49 (3), November, 2011)
“Mass Spectrometry by Jürgen Gross is aimed at all mass spectrometrists and MS data users who practice their profession beyond routine and wish to better understand the basics and gimmicks of modern mass spectrometry. … gains a vivid impression of the innovative energy and creativity of the field. … a highly useful guide to the technical world of analytical mass spectrometry. It is unique, as it is a condensed source of numerous details that are rarely discussed at the expert level in one place.” (Wolf Dieter Lehmann, Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry, Vol. 401 (10), December, 2011)
“This is a serious and substantial textbook, which will be invaluable for established users of mass spectrometry wanting to revise their knowledge, as well as newcomers wishing to learn the subject from an historical and extremely thorough viewpoint. The text explains in detail, with excellent figures and photographs, the principles of mass spectrometry from ionisation techniques (starting with electron impact) through to instrumental designs (finishing with travelling wave stacked ring ion guides and orbitrap technologies).” (Alison Ashcroft, Chemistry World, December, 2011)
“While undergraduates might find the exemplary explanations of the many varieties of mass spectrometry helpful, this text is really aimed at researchers who wish to better understand their equipment or look into alternative approaches for analysing samples. It is a fantastic reference guide, with many schematics and photographs of equipment. It also contains useful guides on how to search reference libraries. The layout is perfectly functional, and a detailed table of contents and index make the text a delight to use.” (Rebecca Ingle, The Times Higher Education, November, 2011)
From the Back Cover
This highly successful textbook, acclaimed for its comprehensiveness, accuracy, and its many excellent illustrations and photographs now comes in its second edition. Completely revised and substantially extended it offers:
– New chapter on Tandem Mass Spectrometry covering instrumentation, methods for ion activation (CID, ECD, ETD, IRMPD), and applications
– New chapter on Ambient Mass Spectrometry (DART, DESI, and more)
– New chapter on Inorganic Mass Spectrometry including element speciation and imaging
– Learning Objectives for all chapters
– Advanced Instrumentation such as orbitraps, linear ion traps, tandem TOFs, FT-ICR and the highly variable hybrid instruments
– Updated Problems and Solutions website (www.ms-textbook.com)
Jürgen H. Gross provides in-depth explanations of concepts, methods, and techniques. Students and professionals alike are guided step-by-step from the basics to the successful application of mass spectrometry. Starting from the very principles of gas-phase ion chemistry, isotopic composition, and accurate mass, Jürgen H. Gross leads through the design of all types of mass analyzers and ionization methods to mass spectral interpretation and coupling techniques. His book offers a balanced mixture of practice-oriented information and theoretical background supported by a wealth of references.
From reviews of the previous edition:
“…one of the best textbooks on mass spectrometry I have seen so far.” International Journal of Mass Spectrometry
“…can be recommended unreservedly as a textbook and reference source…” Angewandte Chemie, International Edition
See all Product Description
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
Used that way, it is an excellent book. Having some experience in GC, this book was to me a first choice because most books on GC-MS are pretty outdated.
Each chapter offers a detailed discussion with many illustrations facilitating understanding. Reference is always given to the original literature (as recent as 2003, as checks showed). The text is, however, occasionally somewhat verbose. In general the treatment of the various topics is of a thoroughness that it can be used also by advanced users of mass spectrometry for reference and deeper understanding. There are only few exceptions: thus the discussion of chemical ionization is essentially restricted to proton transfer, charge exchange, and electron capture whereas other reagent gases are just mentioned en passant.
Although many practical hints are interspersed in the text, a beginner in the field may be overawed by the wealth of information and ask, What should I do now? For example, in the over-detailed discussion of isotopes and accurate mass measurements there is no indication how to approach the list of elemental compositions obtained in daily practice (e.g. the nitrogen rule is discussed only many chapters later without any reference here).
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Medical Books > Medicine > Internal Medicine > Geriatrics
- Books > Medical Books > Medicine > Internal Medicine > Pathology > Forensic Medicine
- Books > Medical Books > Pharmacology
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Crime & Criminals > Forensic Science
- Books > Professional & Technical > Professional Science > Agricultural Sciences > Biochemistry
- Books > Professional & Technical > Professional Science > Chemistry > Organic
- Books > Professional & Technical > Professional Science > Earth Sciences > Environmental Science
- Books > Professional & Technical > Professional Science > Physics > Statics
- Books > Science & Math > Chemistry > Biochemistry
- Books > Science & Math > Chemistry > Industrial & Technical
- Books > Science & Math > Chemistry > Organic
- Books > Science & Math > Earth Sciences > Environmental Science
- Books > Science & Math > Environment > Environmental Science
- Books > Science & Math > Medicine > Pharmacology
- Books > Science & Math > Medicine > Specialties > Geriatrics
- Books > Science & Math > Medicine > Specialties > Pathology > Forensic Medicine
- Books > Science & Math > Physics > Statics
- Books > Textbooks > Medicine > Medicine > Basic Sciences > Pharmacology
- Books > Textbooks > Medicine > Medicine > Clinical > Forensic Medicine
- Books > Textbooks > Medicine > Medicine > Clinical > Geriatrics
- Books > Textbooks > Sciences > Biology & Life Sciences
- Books > Textbooks > Sciences > Chemistry
- Books > Textbooks > Sciences > Earth Sciences
- Books > Textbooks > Sciences > Environmental Studies