From the Back Cover
Put the power of RMI into your programs to create robust enterprise applications
Renowned as one of the world's top experts on Java and EJB, Rickard Öberg brings you the definitive programming tutorial on Remote Method Invocation (RMI). Geared to experienced Java and EJB developers, this book clearly explains why you need RMI to create enterprise-strength distributed applications and how to go about utilizing RMI's advanced features to build fault-tolerant and flexible programs in Java and EJB.
Öberg begins with a crash course on RMI architecture, then walks you through the entire process of building RMI applications. He provides full, working code that you can customize for your own use and demonstrates how to leverage the power of RMI through such technologies as Jini and EJB.
As you proceed through this book and its extensive sample applications, you'll learn to:
* Create a basic RMI application and improve it with dynamic classloading and the Java Naming and Directory Interface (JNDI)
* Use the custom connection management and activation techniques to enhance your programs and client/server communications
* Design and build advanced chat and mobile agent applications
* Employ Jini to improve collaboration among network services and devices
* Develop EJB components for use in such applications as transactions, databases, and security
The CD-ROM contains:
* All the source code from the examples in the book, complete with build structures and make files
* The JBoss application server for running the EJB example
The companion Web site contains:
* Links to RMI resources
* Updates to the source code
About the Author
RICKARD ÖBERG has written three EJB servers and is currently an architect on the JBoss project. He provides feedback to RMI-developers on how to implement RMI-systems and has published two articles on RMI on his homepage. Öberg is a two-time winner of the "Software Reuse Café" Java programming contest in Sweden, making him one of the best Java programmers in Sweden.