- You'll save an extra 5% on Books purchased from Amazon.ca, now through July 29th. No code necessary, discount applied at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
Mathematical Methods in Linguistics Paperback – Apr 30 1990
Special Offers and Product Promotions
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
Instead it covers such mathematical topics as sets (including infinite sets), relations, a good deal of mathematical logic,
automata (up to turing machines), the lambda calculus, lattices and more.
This would be an excellent book for an advanced undergraduate or graduate student in either mathematics or computer science to use
either as a review text, or as a study guide for further investigation.
Those with a math background will find the first half a delightful review of concepts they have seen in various courses, like abstract algebra and set theory, but with a slightly different twist, one that is more foundational and language theoretic than the standard math treatments.
It would serve well for a course in Linguistics for math majors or conversely as a course in formal languages and Mathematics for language majors.
The ideas presented are timeless so don't let the early publication date lead you astray. There cannot be any better, more current treatment available.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Education & Reference > Foreign Language Study & Reference
- Books > Education & Reference > Words, Language & Grammar > Linguistics
- Books > Education & Reference > Words, Language & Grammar > Study & Teaching
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Philosophy > Logic & Language
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Philosophy > Reference
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Linguistics > Applied
- Books > Qualifying Textbooks - Fall 2007 > Education
- Books > Qualifying Textbooks - Fall 2007 > Humanities
- Books > Qualifying Textbooks - Fall 2007 > Science
- Books > Qualifying Textbooks - Fall 2007 > Social Sciences
- Books > Science & Math > Mathematics
- Books > Textbooks > Humanities > Linguistics
- Books > Textbooks > Humanities > Philosophy > Logic
- Books > Textbooks > Sciences > Mathematics