- You'll save an extra 5% on Books purchased from Amazon.ca, now through July 29th. No code necessary, discount applied at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
Maurice Maeterlinck and the Making of Modern Theatre Hardcover – Jan 6 2000
Special Offers and Product Promotions
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
`This study amply prepares the reader for Maeterlinck's minimalism with a clear and wide-ranging exposition of his achievement, elucidating the context for his experiments in his first writings for the theatre and in his poetry.' W.L.Hodson, Modern Language Review
`McGuinness's book is well written and contains, in addition to his own stimulating readings of Maeterlinck's work, much useful information that had never been gathered into a single, concise source.' April Wuensch, Modern Language Notes
`McGuinness does a fine job of showing how, from the electicism of the Symbolists' theater and theoretical musings, certain common principles emerge' April Wuensch, Modern Language Notes
`the first full-length study in English to appear in over a decade' April Wuensch, Modern Language Notes
`Patrick McGuinness's study is a welcome addition to the slim corpus of recent work on Maeterlinck.' April Wuensch, Modern Language Notes
`It warms the heart to see university presses continuing to publish such scholarly monographs' Nicholas White, Journal of European Studies
`the theoretically-informed close readings are often leavened by fascinating minutiae' Nicholas White, Journal of European Studies
`an impressively broad artistic contextualization' Nicholas White, Journal of European Studies
`one of the great virtues of this book is precisely its willingness to reflect the density of the literary and critical archive' Nicholas White, Journal of European Studies
`McGuiness's discussion ... is rich and comprehensive ... a penetrating analysis.' D.A. Collins, Choice, July/Aug. 00.
About the Author
Patrick McGuinness is at St Anne's College, Oxford.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Arts & Photography > Performing Arts > Theatre > History & Criticism
- Books > Biographies & Memoirs > Arts & Literature > Entertainers
- Books > Education & Reference > Words, Language & Grammar > Linguistics
- Books > Humour & Entertainment > Performing Arts > Theatre > History & Criticism
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Drama > History
- Books > Literature & Fiction > History & Criticism > European
- Books > Literature & Fiction > History & Criticism > United States
- Books > Literature & Fiction > United States > History & Criticism
- Books > Literature & Fiction > World Literature > French
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Linguistics > Applied
- Books > Textbooks > Humanities > Linguistics
- Books > Textbooks > Humanities > Literature > World Literature > European
- Books > Textbooks > Humanities > Performing Arts