Measure Of A Man
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
|2. I Will Carry You|
|3. The Way|
|4. When You Say You Love Me|
|5. No More Sad Songs|
|6. Run To Me|
|8. I Survived You|
|9. Solitaire (Bonus Cut)|
|10. Perfect Day|
|11. Measure of a Man|
International Version of 2003 Debut Album from the American Idol Runner-up with the Bonus Track "Bridge Over Troubled Water".
No one will lament the passing of the boy band phenomena; now the American Idol runner-up Clay Aiken has released his first album. He's picked up right where 'N Sync and the Backstreet Boys left off, not only borrowing Andreas Carlsson, the Swedish songsmith who penned some of their biggest hits (also using the services of other well-known popmeisters like Desmond Child and Cathy Dennis) but turning out the same type of impeccable over-produced and seamless creations that the Orlando pop mafia rode up the charts at the dawn of the millennium. Now two years later, it seems like there's still quite a bit of life left in that tired zeitgeist, since Aiken's Measure of a Man debuted at number one on the Billboard charts, even outselling Ruben Studdard's debut album, the man who beat him on the second season of Fox TV's talent search. Well crafted and well sung, but devoid of any discernable personality or endearing idiosyncrasies, all of Aiken's overwrought tunes sound disturbingly the same, whether he's lamenting the lack of love in his life ("Invisible"), revealing in it ("Perfect Day"), or supporting his fellow man ("I Will Carry You"). Aiken invests little real emotion in his delivery, instead homogenizing the whole process, coming across more like a made-for-TV pop star than the real thing. --Jaan Uhelszki
Top Customer Reviews
The acoustic guitar on "Invisible" was a surprise after hearing the song on the AI tour, but it's nice. My only (and slight) disappointment is that "Invisible" fades out rather than keeping the heartbreaking, whispered ending "Oh, wait, I already am" that Clay did in concert. "When You Say You Love Me" almost has a slight country feel; "No More Sad Songs" is harder both in tone and in the driving percussion. "Run to Me" may be one of the sweetest songs I've ever heard; the sentiment is so rare. The songs weave together beautifully and yet each one presents something different.
This is a CD not only to play in the background, but to listen to carefully, letting your ears feast on the rich vocals and the lovely melodies and allowing the passion and emotion of the lyrics to get under your skin. Not too many artists focus on melody and lyrics anymore--Clay's CD is a welcome change.
The Measure of a Man is an outstanding first release. And the measure of a great singer and a true American Idol.
I was playing the cd on very low volume during a gathering at my home and it caught a lot of attention from my guests. The songs are catchy, well versed and sung angelically. My favorite is "I survived you" great break up/it's over song.
Clay said he is not perfect, well what person is, but this album is perfection. I have never heard an album where every track has grabbed me like this one does. The thought and caring he put into it shines through every song. I love them all, but in the odd event someone doesn't take to a particular song, you can bet there will be others that do. There is something for everyone. Enjoy this great music and this fabulous singer everyone, for here is a sales record breaker for sure.
1. Invisible - Great song. Talks about wishing this girl would notice him. This isn't one of his better sounding songs though; there are some that he does much better on. That aside, 8/10
2. I Will Carry You - Amazing. Simply amazing. His voice sounds so good, the lyrics are great. This is a classic. 10/10
3. The Way - This was his second single from this album. It's great, and everyone knows it. 9/10
4. When You Say You Love Me - One of my absoulte favs. Talks about his fears of a gril not loving him like she says. It's so sweet. A quick song, lovely. 10/10
5. No More Sad Songs - Talks about how he's over a girl now, and he doesn't want any more sad songs. Sweet and a little sad. How ironic is that? But that's just because of the key this song is in, not the words. 9/10
6. Run To Me - Another one of my favs. He sings here about wanting this girl, but she's heartbroken. He's telling her to come to him as soon as she can. Very, very sweet. 10/10
7. Shine - A great song. It's just amazing, talking about how someone is going to shine in his/her life. 9/10
8. I Survivied You - Once again, one of my favories. He says here about how he survivied this girl cheating and lying to him. Amazing, and his voice is so perfect with this one. 10/10
9. This Is The Night - He sounds so good on this song. I played it again and again, so now I'm a bit tired of it. Nevertheless, it's a great song. 8/10
10.Read more ›
Most recent customer reviews
OMG this album is the BEST album EVER! i never expected that much of Clay Aiken, but wow, this album has exceeded all my expectations. Clay's voice is simply amazing! Read morePublished on Aug. 6 2006 by Wendy Aiken
I love ever song please we need more songs clay. who care about Taylor we love Clay........Published on May 24 2006 by Watchgirl
Clay Aiken is the best thing to happen to pop music in a long time. Most people in this genre today don't actually have any vocal talent. That is not the case with Clay. Read morePublished on Dec 7 2004
Clay Aiken delivers in his album "Measure of a Man". I love "I Survived You", "Shine", "Perfect Day"; it's that voice! Amazing singer!Published on Nov. 14 2004
Love this album! Clay Aiken does a fantastic job in his debut album "Measure of a Man". I've seen him perform live 14 times in the past year and he is a phenomenal... Read morePublished on Nov. 14 2004
Clay was my fav during AI2 and I was so excited when I bought this CD but when I listened to it, I was extremely disappointed. I liked Clay's voice but that was it. Read morePublished on Oct. 21 2004
Clay Aiken is one of the most talented singers out there. Not only does he have a voice from heaven but is an all around nice guy. Read morePublished on Aug. 28 2004 by Helen
There is really nothing left to say, except Clay is a superstar and this is a must-have CD.Published on July 30 2004
I love you clay you mean so much to me when you came out on american idol my heart stopped my sister had to come and revive me. Read morePublished on July 18 2004 by mistyangel