Mechanics of Machines Hardcover – Mar 16 2005
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
From the Publisher
630 halftones & line illus.
About the Author
W. L. Cleghorn is Professor and Clarice Chalmers Chair of Engineering Design at the University of Toronto. He has taught subjects in mechanics and design for over twenty years, and holds numerous teaching awards.
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
-smaller than other engineering textbooks
-cheaper than other engineering textbooks
-covers relevant topics in the dynamics of machines/mechanisms
-too few examples, and examples are explained poorly
-not enough explanation of problem solving methodology
-included software is glitchy
-answers section in back of book contains only about 3 solutions per chapter, and not a single diagram
Bottom Line: It is impossible to use this book to teach yourself the subject. You will get stuck when you first attempt to draw cognates in chapter 1, and it's a downward spiral from then onward. If you're forced to use this book for a class, may God have mercy on your soul.
WRONG IDEA! Please, save your money and buy/rent the 2nd edition. Obviously the content is the same, however the way it is presented is different. The 2nd edition gives more examples, visuals, text. This 1st edition, bruhhhh, it's horrible. Not enough content to make sure you grasp the material. With that being said, I will be returning it.
We all know that there's a science behind why publishers charge $$$ for a new edition of a book a year later. However, I understand why the 2nd edition is so much money in this instance. The 1st edition was published in 2005 and the 2nd edition was publish almost 10 years later, so there was a lot of improvement. In addition, my professor worked under Cleghorn and provided the solutions to examples and personally feels the 2nd edition should be bought over the 1st. Happy studying ya'll.
This was a required text for my class and I had to buy it but once it was over, I promptly resold it.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Canada Day Deals > All Deals
- Books > History > Europe
- Books > Professional & Technical > Engineering > Aerospace > Advanced Mechanics
- Books > Professional & Technical > Engineering > Civil > Mechanics
- Books > Professional & Technical > Engineering > Industrial, Manufacturing & Operational Systems > Industrial Design
- Books > Professional & Technical > Engineering > Industrial, Manufacturing & Operational Systems > Machinery
- Books > Professional & Technical > Engineering > Mechanical > Machinery
- Books > Qualifying Textbooks - Fall 2007 > Engineering
- Books > Qualifying Textbooks - Fall 2007 > Humanities
- Books > Qualifying Textbooks - Fall 2007 > Science
- Books > Science & Math > Mathematics
- Books > Textbooks > Engineering > Mechanical Engineering
- Books > Textbooks > Humanities > History > Europe