Medieval Ballads: Chivalry, Romance, and Everyday Life- A Critical Anthology- Paperback – Oct 1 1996
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
From the Publisher
Despite their status as the major literature of the medieval commoner, the ballads of the Middle Ages have remained generally inaccessible. The present collection provides for the first time a comprehensive selection of these important poems in modern translation, organized according to theme and accorded brief synopses of their sources, motifs, interpretive problems, and cross-references. Moreover, Prof. Morgan's critical introduction establishes a social and historical context for the ballads of chivalry and romance and a general framework for their reading.
About the Author
The Editor and Translator: Gwendolyn A. Morgan is Professor of Medieval and British Literature and Language at Montana State University. She has studied at McGill University, York University, and the University of South Florida, receiving her Ph.D. from the latter. Widely published in the areas of medieval and Anglo-Saxon literature, Dr. Morgan is also the author of Medieval Balladry and the Courtly Tradition (Peter Lang, 1993), co-editor of The Year's Work in Medievalism: 1994, and the co-author of the forthcoming Reading and Writing in the New Middle Ages and The Harp and the Cross: Anglo-Saxon Poems in Imitative Translation.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Education & Reference > Dictionaries & Thesauruses > Science
- Books > Education & Reference > Foreign Language Study & Reference > English as a Second Language
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Poetry > British
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Anthropology > Cultural
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Folklore & Mythology
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Sociology
- Books > Textbooks > English As a Second Language
- Books > Textbooks > Humanities > Foreign Languages
- Books > Textbooks > Humanities > Literature > English Literature
- Books > Textbooks > Social Sciences > Anthropology
- Books > Textbooks > Social Sciences > Sociology