Melody in Songwriting: Tools and Techniques for Writing Hit Songs Paperback – May 17 2000
|New from||Used from|
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
It covers an awful lot of ground and goes into greater depth and detail than many other books on the subject of songwriting. In fact, this is a valuable resource for composers in any style of music, not only songwriters. Granted, beginners will likely feel a little intimidated at first, but I say, 'just reread it again', what you'll learn is more than worth the effort.
Melody in Songwriting includes about half-a-dozen well known songs as examples plus a greater number of unknown but insightful examples. This brings up the books' one weakness, which is that no CD of the examples is included so in order to hear and fully appreciate the given examples you'll need above average music reading and keyboarding skills. Perhaps Berklee Press will consider releasing a CD addendum to this excellent book.
Bottom line; if you read this book and do the exercises, you'll be able to write a reasonably good melody every time you sit down, even without inspiration. Add inspiration and you just may write a great melody.
Most recent customer reviews
I expected more out of Berklee and more out of a book on Melody. I got a few things out of it - but it was more an explanation of obvious things I do in my writing more than some... Read morePublished 19 months ago by b00kll0vr
Some people believe that composition is a gift, a talent rather than practice. Melody in Songwriting proves that talent is not enough without practice and constant... Read morePublished on May 12 2005 by Daniel Maudonnet
THIS is the book that songwriters should be reading in order to truly craft STRONG melodies...Jack has both an instinctive and a trained sense of how to use the structures of rock,... Read morePublished on April 13 2004 by Ruth G.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Arts & Photography > Performing Arts > Theatre
- Books > Children's Books
- Books > Humour & Entertainment > Music > Instruments & Performers > Voice
- Books > Humour & Entertainment > Music > Musical Genres > Classical > Scores > Forms & Genres > Lieder & Art Songs
- Books > Humour & Entertainment > Music > Musical Genres > Classical > Scores > Forms & Genres > Popular
- Books > Humour & Entertainment > Music > Theory, Composition & Performance > Composition
- Books > Humour & Entertainment > Music > Theory, Composition & Performance > Instruction & Study
- Books > Humour & Entertainment > Music > Theory, Composition & Performance > Songwriting
- Books > Humour & Entertainment > Music > Theory, Composition & Performance > Theory
- Books > Humour & Entertainment > Performing Arts > Theatre