- Student Exclusive: Amazon Prime Student members save 10% on all textbook purchases. Enter code TEXT10 at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
Memory, Nationalism, and Narrative in Contemporary South Asia Hardcover – Oct 16 2012
Special Offers and Product Promotions
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
"Mallot's study is not only a thorough study of the pervasive nature of memory as it shapes contemporary South Asia, but also an invaluable exploration of the ways in which memory's empire is continually challenged and re-imagined: an erudite, sensitive, and very readable book." - Dave Gunning, University of Birmingham
'This distinctive book provides a provocative interrogation of some key tenets of memory and trauma studies. Through lively analysis of literature, film, and urban planning, it examines the diverse processes and politics of remembering on the subcontinent, convincingly arguing for more meticulous and culturally inflected memory work.' - Clare Barker, University of Leeds
"Mallot's book is an ambitious and timely project that interrogates Eurocentric assumptions that the act of remembering is purely positive and argues that a different paradigm may be necessary in South Asian contexts. The book examines memory, the relationship between memory and history, and the ethical implications and potential dangers of revisiting the past through a variety of texts, including a city that is the result of post-Partition urban planning, Hindi films, and Anglophone novels, by well-known South Asian/diasporic writers. This well-theorized and thoroughly researched work makes a valuable contribution to fields including South Asian Studies, Memory Studies, and Diaspora Studies." - Maryse Jayasuriya, University of Texas at El Paso
About the Author
J. EDWARD MALLOT is an Assistant Professor of Anglophone Postcolonial Literature at Arizona State University, USA.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Literature & Fiction > History & Criticism > Asian
- Books > Literature & Fiction > History & Criticism > Criticism & Theory > Semiotics
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences
- Books > Textbooks > Humanities > Literature > English Literature
- Books > Textbooks > Humanities > Literature > Literary Theory
- Books > Textbooks > Humanities > Literature > World Literature > Asian
- Books > Textbooks > Social Sciences