Michael W. Lucas
Similar authors to follow
Manage your follows
About Michael W. Lucas
Author of about forty books, Michael W Lucas is a full-time writer from Detroit, Michigan. Learn more at https://mwl.io.
“One of the best technical writers in the networking and security environments.” – Midwest Book Review
"Michael Lucas is probably the best system administration author I've read. I am amazed that he can communicate top-notch content with a sense of humor, while not offending the reader or sounding stupid. When was the last time you could physically feel yourself getting smarter while reading a book?" -- Richard Bejtlich, TaoSecurity
"For me, reading this book was like having one of the guys in my company who lives and breathes Cisco sitting down with me for a day and explaining everything I need to know to handle problems or issues likely to come my way. There may be many additional things I could potentially learn about my Cisco switches, but likely few I'm likely to encounter in my environment." -- IT World
Customers Also Bought Items By
Books By Michael W. Lucas
If basic TCP/IP was hard, network administrators couldn’t do it. Servers give sysadmins a incredible visibility into the network—once they know how to unlock it.
Most sysadmins don’t need to understand window scaling, or the differences between IPv4 and IPv6 echo requests, or other intricacies of the TCP/IP protocols. You need only enough to deploy your own applications and get easy support from the network team.
This book teaches you:
•How modern networks really work
•The essentials of TCP/IP
•The next-generation protocol, IPv6
•The right tools to diagnose network problems, and how to use them
•Troubleshooting everything from the physical wire to DNS
•How to see the traffic you send and receive
•How to communicate with your network team to quickly resolve problems
A systems administrator doesn’t need to know the innards of TCP/IP, but knowing enough to diagnose your own network issues transforms a good sysadmin into a great one.
ZFS, the fast, flexible, self-healing filesystem, revolutionized data storage. Leveraging ZFS changes everything about managing FreeBSD systems.
With FreeBSD Mastery: ZFS, you’ll learn to:
Whether you’re a long-term FreeBSD administrator or a new user, FreeBSD Mastery: ZFS will help you simplify storage.
Master ZFS with FreeBSD Mastery: ZFS.
TLS Mastery takes you through:
• How TLS works
• What TLS provides, and what it doesn’t
• Wrapping unencrypted connections inside TLS
• Assessing TLS configurations
• The Automated Certificate Management Environment (ACME) protocol
• Using Let’s Encrypt to automatically maintain TLS certificates
• Online Certificate Status Protocol
• Certificate Revocation
• CAA, HSTS, and Certificate Transparency
• Why you shouldn’t run your own CA, and how to do it anyway
• and more!
Stop wandering blindly around TLS. Master the protocol with TLS Mastery!
This small book teaches you to:
•Use boot environments to make the riskiest sysadmin tasks boring
•Delegate filesystem privileges to users
•Containerize ZFS datasets with jails
•Quickly and efficiently replicate data between machines
•split layers off of mirrors
•optimize ZFS block storage
•handle large storage arrays
•select caching strategies to improve performance
•manage next-generation storage hardware
•identify and remove bottlenecks
•build screaming fast database storage
•dive deep into pools, metaslabs, and more!
Whether you manage a single small server or international datacenters, simplify your storage with FreeBSD Mastery: Advanced ZFS.
Secure Shell (SSH) lets sysadmins securely manage remote systems. It’s powerful, complicated, and confusing.
Lose the confusion.
SSH Mastery: OpenSSH, PuTTY, Tunnels and Keys rescues you from sifting through decades of obsolete online tutorials and quickly makes you an SSH journeyman. You’ll learn to
• eliminate passwords
• manage access by users, groups, addresses, and more
• securely move files around your network
• forward graphic displays
• proxy TCP connections
• build SOCKS proxies
• centrally manage and distribute keys and configurations
• use SSH as secure transport for other applications
• build virtual private networks
• create Certificate Authorities for truly large scale deployment
Master Secure Shell with SSH Mastery!
A hundred thousand gurus offer contradictory writing secrets. You must outline! You must free write! You must write at a standing desk with your bare feet in cold oatmeal!
The gurus are all correct—
and all wrong.
In Domesticate Your Badgers: Become a Better Writer through Deliberate Practice, full-time author Michael W Lucas demonstrates how to build a personalized plan to transform yourself into the best author you can be. Writing is a set of skills, and deliberately stocking your tool chest makes each piece you write better than the last. Want to be a pro? Use the same techniques pros use.
No badgers were harmed in the writing of this book.
Contains no badger or badger by-products.
Regulations on badger domestication vary by location.
PAM is one of the most misunderstood parts of systems administration. Many sysadmins live with authentication problems rather than risk making them worse. PAM’s very nature makes it unlike any other Unix access control system.
If you have PAM misery or PAM mysteries, you need PAM Mastery!
With PAM Mastery, you’ll understand:
• the different versions of PAM
• the intricacies of Linux-PAM and OpenPAM
• how PAM policies make decisions
• how to debug PAM
• the most frequently seen PAM modules
• Linux-PAM extended controls and substacks
• time-based one-time passwords
• using SSH keys for more than SSH
• password quality testing
• policies from CentOS, Debian, and FreeBSD
• and more!
Transform PAM from a headache to an ally with PAM Mastery
Unix-like operating systems use a rudimentary access control system: the root account can do anything, while other users are peasants with only minimal access. This worked fine in UNIX’s youth, but now that sysadmin responsibilities are spread among many people and applications, many people need a tiny slice of root’s power.
Sudo lets you divide root’s monolithic power between the people who need it with accountability and auditability.
Sudo Mastery will teach you to:
- design a secure sudo policy
- simplify policies with lists and aliases
- manage shell environments
- verify system integrity via intrusion detection
- deploy a single sudo policy across your enterprise
- manage sudo policies via LDAP
- log and debug sudo
- record and replay full sudo sessions
- use authentication systems other than passwords
Master sudo with Sudo Mastery!
The world’s most successful distributed database—and the most naïve.
The Domain Name System is one of the Internet’s oldest protocols, designed for a network without hostile users. Intruders targeting a network start by investigating their DNS. DNS Security Extensions, or DNSSEC, hardens DNS and brings it into the 21st century. Learning DNSSEC required wading through years of obsolete tutorials, dead ends, and inscrutable standards.
This new edition of DNSSEC Mastery will have DNS administrators deploying DNSSEC with industry-standard software in hours instead of weeks. You will:
- Understand what DNSSEC provides
- Configure your servers to resist attack
- Verify your environment supports modern DNS
- Debug DNSSEC and the Chain of Trust
- Sign your zones and attach them to the Chain of Trust
- Conceal zone data with NSEC3
- Automate DNSSEC maintenance
- Roll over keys to maintain integrity
- Implement DNSSEC on private networks
- Securely distribute security-critical information via DNS
OpenBSD has a solid reputation for security and stability. It’s well known for the OpenSMTPd mail server, the LibreSSL cryptography library, and the PF packet filter. But nobody ever talks about the load balancer, or the web server.
The httpd web server provides a fast, stable, secure environment for your web applications. The relayd load balancer lets you distribute Internet application load across multiple hosts. Between the two, you can slash hundreds of thousands of dollars off the cost of building, deploying, and managing applications.
With Httpd and Relayd Mastery you’ll learn how to:
• set up web sites
• configure software to run in a chroot
• run dozens or hundreds of sites on one host
• dynamically reconfigure sites with Lua patterns
• manage site logs
• maintain free, globally-valid SSL certificates
• improve performance with SSL stapling
• install and maintain two-server clusters
• distribute traffic between any number of hosts
• stop worrying about old SSL versions and bad crypto algorithms
Slash the amount of time you spend futzing with web servers. Get Httpd and Relayd Mastery today!
People want to give you money for your art? Congratulations!
Business is all about cash flow, and cash flow is just a game. A game with simple rules. A game you can win, with the ultimate prize: a life doing what you love.
Ask that helpful cousin with the business degree for advice and they’ll gleefully prattle on about LLCs and deductions and accountants and the tax tactics of C versus S corporations. It’s entirely accurate and completely unhelpful. Books about businesses like pet shops and burger franchises? Even less useful.
You need advice from a creator who pays the mortgage with his craft.
Cash Flow For Creators provides a map and a flashlight for building an artistic business from the ground up. Do you need a business bank account, and why? Should you incorporate, or make an LLC? How do you cope with accountants, regulations and deductions? Can you get your family on board? How do you pay taxes? What about keeping a business going, not just year after year but decade after decade? In the bewildering torrent of business rules, which matter to a creator—and which don’t? Cash Flow for Creators has you covered, and tells you the secret no other business book will:
Business is easier than art.
Once someone explains the rules, and tells you how to win.
Forty years after ed’s introduction, internationally acclaimed author Michael W Lucas has finally unlocked the mysteries of ed for everyone. With Ed Mastery, you too can become a proper sysadmin.
Ed Mastery will help you:
• understand buffers and addresses
• insert, remove, and mangle text
• master file management and shell escapes
• comprehend regular expressions, searches, and substitutions
• create high-performance scripts for transforming files
You must be at least this competent to use this computer. Read Ed Mastery today!