A Mind Apart: Understanding Children with Autism and Asperger Syndrome Paperback – Apr 7 2004
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
"A landmark book in terms of style and content. Dr. Szatmari explores and describes the world as perceived by people with autism to explain their unusual behaviour and abilities, and discusses scientific theories and current therapies as well as causes and prognosis. The book is written objectively and engagingly, with literary skill and a sense of optimism that will be particularly appealing to parents. Dr. Szatmari clearly appreciates and admires the minds of children with autism, and is able to explain those minds to parents while providing realistic advice on remedial strategies."--Tony Attwood, PhD, author of Asperger Syndrome: A Guide for Parents and Professionals
"Dr. Szatmari's book embodies the best of that singular tradition in which science is matched against disability, one child at a time. A clinician, scientist, and keen observer of human nature, Dr. Szatmari weaves a deeply empathic and comprehensive account of autism and related disabilities. The stories he recounts illuminate the daily challenges and triumphs that children experience, while revealing his passion for discovery and healing. The result is extraordinarily rewarding reading for families affected by autism and for the professionals who serve them."--Ami Klin, PhD, Yale Child Study Center
"This unique and beautiful book takes you on a voyage to the unusual world of children and young adults with autism and AS. In close and personal detail, Dr. Szatmari describes the struggles of families to understand their children and to understand how they themselves are changed by their children. At the same time, the book brings to life key principles in our scientific understanding of these disorders. This brilliant work should be read by all parents and all clinicians involved in helping children with autism and AS."--Bryna Siegel, PhD, author of Helping Children with Autism Learn
About the Author
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
For a mere professional, he didn't do to bad of a job. I only caught him in a couple of what I would consider minor errors. The one that bothered me the most was our suppossed "lack of imagination".
I would like to correct that to lack of ORIGINAL material in our imaginations. I had a very lively fantasy world when I was a child, mostly based on Tolkien. But as I grew older, instead of simply redoing the scenes from the books over and over again in my head, I completely redid the world and took it in new directions. What we lack in originality, Aspies and HFAs make up fore in having a different set of "rules" our logic works by, so that even out of old, familiar material we can create things that look completely unfamiliar to neurotypicals (those not on the autistic spectrum).
As for his refusing to diagnose a woman as Asperger's just because she had a career, a husband, and seemed relatively content... I just don't see it. Now, I don't really have a career (I'm not very good at the social stuff to build one, but I'm strong academically), and my marriage to a neurotypical has basically fallen apart and is awaiting its official burial in the court systems, so I'm not a great example either. But I know of at least two people in the local Asperger's group who I consider to be of a similar functional level to myself who have successful relationships and careers. I don't really see what either have to do with diagnostics.
This book will give you an amazing insight into the disorder!
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Health, Fitness & Dieting > Mental Health > Compulsive Behaviour
- Books > Health, Fitness & Dieting > Personal Health > Children's Health > Autism & Asperger's Syndrome
- Books > Health, Fitness & Dieting > Personal Health > Children's Health > Special Needs Children
- Books > Health, Fitness & Dieting > Psychology & Counseling > Adolescent Psychology
- Books > Health, Fitness & Dieting > Psychology & Counseling > Child Psychology > Psychology
- Books > Medical Books > Medicine > Internal Medicine > Pediatrics
- Books > Parenting & Relationships > Family Health
- Books > Parenting & Relationships > Parenting
- Books > Parenting & Relationships > Special Needs
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Social Work
- Books > Science & Math > Behavioural Sciences
- Books > Science & Math > Medicine > Specialties > Pediatrics
- Books > Textbooks > Education > Special Education
- Books > Textbooks > Medicine > Medicine > Clinical > Mental Health
- Books > Textbooks > Social Sciences > Psychology > Psychopathology
- Books > Textbooks > Social Sciences > Psychology > Psychotherapy