Mindful of Butterflies Hardcover – Dec 1999
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Bernard Jackson began writing this guide for novice butterfly enthusiasts during his 20plus years as creator and first director for the Memorial University Botanical Garden in Newfoundland. In Mindful of Butterflies, his careful observations and thoughtful perceptions bring new wisdom to readers. The book is a beauty to behold. There's a storybook quality to the magnificent full page illustrations provided by Valerie Baines. Slightly thicker than normal pages lend a richness to this text, but the best feature of all is the engaging nature of the author's narrative which makes these fascinating creatures even more captivating. This book goes far beyond providing a list of plants attractive to butterflies. It helps you understand these insects more...This book inspired me so much I immediately began taking more interest in butterflies. Mindful of Butterflies is designed to trigger the reader's interest, to foster more respect for butterflies and entice gardeners to work towards more friendly environments for these insects. It excells in all these goals and is a choice selection for any gardener. -- East Coast Gardener, November/December 1999
This superb book is by far the best popular publication I have read on butterflies and butterfly gardening. Here at last is an outstanding book on the subject. It is on one hand very readable and on the other detailed enough to make those who read it aware of the pitfalls, problems and pleasures associated with butterfly gardening.
I am also impressed with the plant lists, he has included and look forward to trying out some in my garden. Coupled with the artistry of Valerie Baines, the book has to become a must for collectors of butterflyana. All are beautifully portrayed here in this excellent publication which I have no hesitation in recommending to anyone... Marney Hall, award-winning UK garden designer -- The Garden (Journal of the Royal Horticultural Society), September 1999
About the Author
Bernard S Jackson created Newfoundland's famous Memorial University Botanical Garden and was its curator until 1993. He has lectured for many years on horticulture, natural history and conservation. He is a Fellow of the Linnean Society, has received the Professional Citation of the American Association of Botanical Gardens and Arboreta, the Canadian Wildflower Society's Conservation Award in 1991 and 1993. He lives in Nova Scotia.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Crafts, Hobbies & Home > Gardening & Horticulture
- Books > Professional & Technical > Professional Science > Agricultural Sciences > Horticulture
- Books > Professional & Technical > Professional Science > Biological Sciences > Botany
- Books > Science & Math > Agricultural Sciences > Horticulture
- Books > Science & Math > Biological Sciences > Biology
- Books > Science & Math > Biological Sciences > Botany
- Books > Science & Math > Nature & Ecology > Animals > Butterflies
- Books > Science & Math > Nature & Ecology > Animals > Insects & Spiders
- Books > Science & Math > Nature & Ecology > Fauna > Butterflies
- Books > Science & Math > Nature & Ecology > Fauna > Insects & Spiders
- Books > Science & Math > Nature & Ecology > Reference
- Books > Textbooks > Sciences > Biology & Life Sciences > Biology