Modern Lunch: +100 Recipes for Assembling the New Midday Meal Hardcover – Illustrated, March 5 2019
Frequently bought together
From the Publisher
From the Publisher
Just Add Water Miso, Sweet Potato, and Soba Ramen
California Lunch Bowls
California Lunch Bowl
Serves 2 | Prep Time 10 Minutes | Keeps 1 Day
While writing this book, I finally ventured to California, and it became a new “happy place” for me. Gjusta, a bakery and restaurant in Venice Beach, California, has a grain bowl that played with temperature, texture, and flavor in a way I’d never experienced before and needed to recreate immediately upon my return home. The soft egg in this bowl, like the one I enjoyed at Gjusta, marries with the lightest, clearest dressing for an expression of modern healthy eating that I believe anyone can get behind.
1. For the poached eggs, fill a small skillet two-thirds full of water. Add the white vinegar, bring the water to a boil, and crack in the eggs. Immediately remove from the heat and cover for 7 minutes. If you are taking this to go, use a hard-boiled egg (page 238) instead of a poached egg.
2. To assemble, to serving bowls, add the rice, romaine, fennel, and avocado. Season with the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper to taste, and chili. Top with the dukkah and cilantro. Remove the egg from the water with a slotted spoon, draining as much water as possible; place on top of the rice. Toss, allowing the yolk to become part of the dressing, and enjoy.
If you are packing this to go, assemble your bowl in a container replacing the poached egg with a peeled hard-boiled egg. Seal and refrigerate until you are ready to take it with you, and keep it refrigerated at work or chilled with a cooler pack until you are ready to eat.
- 1 Tbsp distilled white vinegar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups cooked brown rice (page 241) or quinoa (page 242), preferably warm
- 2 cups shredded romaine lettuce
- ¼ bulb fennel, shaved
- 1 avocado, halved, peeled, and sliced
- 2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil; 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Salt, Ground black pepper
—Tara O’Brady, blogger and author of Seven Spoons
“Is it possible that Allison has just made lunch—the chore of all chores for a parent like me—the most exciting meal of the day? This book is bursting with flavor, inspiration, and most of all encouragement to make the midday meal something to savor.”
—Ceri Marsh, co-author of How to Feed a Family and The School Year Survival Cookbook
“Looks like breakfast is going to have to relinquish its title: Lunch is now The Most Important Meal of the Day. Every page of Allison’s book, Modern Lunch, is so fresh, inventive and downright mouthwatering I find myself just counting down the minutes until the clock strikes noon!”
—Rosie Daykin, owner of Butter Baked Goods and author of Butter Baked Goods and Butter Celebrates!
“Allison Day’s Modern Lunch is a tome of healthful lunch ideas that are flexible enough for a seasoned cook and detailed enough for an aspiring one. It reminds us how lovely it is to be inspired by every meal, and every bite.”
—Jackie Kai Ellis, founder of Beaucoup Bakery and author of The Measure of My Powers
“Modern Lunch will not only have you totally rethink lunch, it will become the go-to cookbook you didn’t even know you were missing. Overflowing with vibrant photography, mouth-watering recipes and practical tips and advice, this truly modern cookbook will make the midday meal the one you look forward to the most. Whether you eat lunch from home, in an office or in the moments the traffic light is red, Allison has a remarkably delicious solution. Her timeless recipes are simple, practical and completely inspiring. From a California Lunch Bowl with the brightest of dressings to a Savory Vegetable Cobbler you will want to serve to your favorite guests, Allison Day’s Modern Lunch is full of inspiration, gorgeousness and soul-satisfying food that will delight you at lunch and beyond.”
—Lisa Dawn Bolton, Food Stylist and Author of On Boards
“Allison Day sees lunchtime as an opportunity to eat well, whether you’re at home or at the office.” —Julie Van Rosendaal, The Globe and Mail
About the Author
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
- Publisher : Appetite by Random House; Illustrated edition (March 5 2019)
- Language : English
- Hardcover : 264 pages
- ISBN-10 : 0147531004
- ISBN-13 : 978-0147531001
- Item weight : 953 g
- Dimensions : 19.61 x 2.34 x 23.57 cm
- Best Sellers Rank: #29,575 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
- Customer Reviews:
Reviews with images
Top reviews from Canada
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
Top reviews from other countries
Reviewed in the United States on March 28, 2019
Caveat though: it’s scaled kind of really for a single person. All the recipes are geared for adults maybe single or a couple. Well nothing is one size fits all.