countdown boutiques-francophones scflyout Home Learn more All-New Kindle Music Deals Store sports Tools

Format: Paperback|Change

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon April 27, 2016
Russell Brand learned early on to make a joke of fear and failure. From a troubled childhood in industrial Essex, England, to his descent into addictions to alcohol, drugs, and sex in the seamy underbelly of London, Brand has seen his share of both and miraculously lived to tell the tale. In My Booky Wook he leads readers on a rollicking journey through his disastrous school career, his infamous antics on MTV, and his multifarious sexual adventures. But this irreverent memoir is a story not simply of struggle but also of redemption, a testament to the difficulty of discovering what you want from life and the remarkable power of a bloody-minded determination to get it. My Booky Wook is a giddy trip through the brilliant mind of one of Britain's most valuable exports.
I have always been a huge fan of Russell Brand and perhaps that is what motivated me to purchase this book. For anyone who wants a look into a twisted mind, I highly suggest this book. Russell is raw and real in his writing and that is when you get an inside look on how this guy got to be where he is today. I didn't know what to expect when I bought the book but I couldn't put it down once I started reading. It's rare to get an inside look into a celebrities life through their eyes and I feel like this book did just that. Sex, drugs and comedic humor are what you'll find in this book. Toss your morals out the window, or at least hang them out to dry while you're reading this book. In my opinion, this was a great book and made me a bigger fan of his. Even if you're not a fan of Russell Brand, I would suggest reading this book because he has had one heck of an interesting life thus far. I actually had to google some of the words within. Smart guy. Excellent writer. Candid, raw look into his early years.
on February 15, 2010
This is a funny but insightful read. Russell is very forthcoming with his experiences- both positive and negative. My favourite part is that he never blames anyone else for his mistakes- he owns up to them and shows you have to work hard to regain trust. Really good book!
on August 23, 2008
The subject matter can be pretty awful: The book begins with Brand's sad childhood and moves on to accounts of depravity fueled by his addictions to drugs and sex.
And where his nearly pathological self-absorption might be tough to swallow, Brand writes like a good novelist. He paints the characters of his life with sensitivity and a wicked, but sweet, sense of humour that somehow makes it all easier to take.
This is by far the best book I read this summer. My copy is battered and water-stained and has sand stuck in its pages because it went everywhere with me until I was done.
So whether you find him terribly annoying or terribly adorable--and few who have heard of Russell Brand can be found outside of one of those camps--I venture that you will never forget his story.
on July 16, 2009
I think this guy is hilarious. He's also very good at making fun of himself, which is a quality many of us don't have. Even so, it's a great read about his life and failures. I think just about anyone would enjoy this one. I'd also recommend, to go along with it, I Was Told There'd Be Cake.
on May 25, 2014
Russell Brand's witty stand-up translates will to the pages of a book. He recounts his childhood and early career with the same exuberance one can expect from seeing his routine. He punctuates his tales with philosophical musings and gives reasons why he may have acted in this way. As he progresses from promising drama student to addict he notes how his friends and family continued to pull him from the depths and attempt to set him straight.

He swings from success to failure but never pauses on either of these, instead he charges forward to the next business venture or act of debauchery. On the surface one wouldn't expect a person like Brand to have the potential for deep thoughts or eloquent writing but often I found myself underlines a particularly poignant line or pausing to look yet another word up in the dictionary. Eventually he finds himself in rehab where he cleans himself up ready to take on the world of comedy sober.

Those who enjoy Brand's comedy will find this book very enjoyable. His insights into his past illuminate parts of who he is today. Even people who are unfamiliar with Brand's work will no doubt be entertained by his stories. Rarely did I find myself becoming bored during a chapter or wishing he'd 'get to the point already'. Brand knows when to elaborate and when to cut to the chase.
on August 19, 2015
This is a great, easy read.

As some others have mentioned, Russel Brand owns all his troubles. He doesn't lay any blame.

This book has some great humour as well as sadness.

It is a real page turner. I quite enjoyed this book. So much so, that I bought his next two books too.
on September 13, 2008
This book is fantastically written. he combines Comedy with tragedy in the most amazing way. Even if you don't like Russell Brand I recommend reading this book because his life is something out of a movie, and he knows how to tell his story.
on August 7, 2015
I used to blindly hate Russell Brand. What a dumb approach. He's excellent. I love his views and his honesty. He melds humour with tribulations of life!
on November 10, 2015
I enjoy Russel Brand's humour, quick wit and outspoken politics but quickly lost interest in this book. Never finished it - gave it away!
on October 12, 2014
I like Russell Brand sense of humour but this book should be rated X, not a good read for kids in case they get their hands on it.