Native American Medicinal Plants: An Ethnobotanical Dictionary Paperback – Abridged, May 13 2009
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
"What is most true for me about Native American Medicinal Plants is that I now have in hand a beautiful tome I can in my leisure over the years turn to in order to expand my knowledge of the plants that cross my path. To be able to add to my knowledge of plants how they might have been used for thousands and thousands of years by the people who traversed the lands I now walk adds dignity and depth to the plant, to the culture that lived here before I, and to my own learning. This reference book is highly recommended!"
About the Author
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
The body of the book is a 490 page catalog of plants organized by scientific name, including subspecies and variety if relevant. Each entry gives one common name, with the drug usages organized alphabetically by tribe using a specific three page list of drug usage categories. Each usage is referenced to a source given in the five page, 180 item bibliography.
There are two additional comprehensive indexes of the information that is contained in the catalog of plants: an index of tribes--114 pages--with plants grouped under usages; and an index of usages--107 pages--with tribes grouped under plants. There is also a 48 page index of common plant names that are used in the original sources, each linked to a scientific name.
The book looks very useful as an organized and inexpensive reference work, an ethnobotanical dictionary as it calls itself. The specific details for using the plants would need to be garnered elsewhere. The large array of interconnected information presented here would nevertheless be valuable in providing starting points for searches and contexts for wider understanding.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
the research and also provided information for personal use. Well received and used
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Crafts, Hobbies & Home > Gardening & Horticulture > Herbs
- Books > Education & Reference > Dictionaries & Thesauruses > Science
- Books > Education & Reference > Foreign Language Study & Reference > Foreign Language Dictionaries & Thesauruses > Native American
- Books > Medical Books > Administration & Medicine Economics > Medical History & Records
- Books > Medical Books > History
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Anthropology > Ethnobotany
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Special Groups > Native American Studies
- Books > Professional & Technical > Professional Science > Biological Sciences > Botany
- Books > Science & Math > Biological Sciences > Botany
- Books > Science & Math > History & Philosophy > History of Medicine
- Books > Science & Math > Medicine > Administration & Policy > Medical History & Records
- Books > Science & Math > Nature & Ecology > Flora
- Books > Science & Math > Nature & Ecology > Plants
- Books > Science & Math > Nature & Ecology > Reference