- You'll save an extra 5% on Books purchased from Amazon.ca, now through July 29th. No code necessary, discount applied at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
Native American Transracial Adoptees Tell Their Stories Paperback – Feb 15 2008
Special Offers and Product Promotions
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Transcribed interviews allow the adoptees to powerfully and poignantly express the impact of their experiences, thus challenging readers to make their own meaning....The book is important because it tackles an ignored subject....Recommended. Two-star review. (CHOICE, March 2009)
Not since David Fanshel's Far from the Reservation has a study so thoroughly examined the effects of transracial adoption on Native American people. This study fills an important gap in the history of the transracial adoption of Native American children. It portrays, in wonderful detail, the struggles of twenty Native Americans between the ages of twenty-five and fifty-nine who were transracially adopted as children into non-Native American families (sixteen into white families). It illustrates the 'highs' and 'lows' of their experiences and concludes by candidly addressing the ambivalence felt by these individuals to transracial adoption. (Howard Altstein, School of Social Work, University of Maryland)
About the Author
Rita James Simon is a professor at the School of Public Affairs at American University. Sarah Hernandez is a scholarship coordinator for the American Indian College Fund.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
Look for similar items by category
- Books > History > Americas > Native American
- Books > History > Americas > United States > African Americans > Discrimination & Racism
- Books > History > United States > African Americans > Discrimination & Racism
- Books > Parenting & Relationships > Adoption
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Discrimination & Racism
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Sociology > Race Relations
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Special Groups > Native American Studies
- Books > Textbooks > Social Sciences > Sociology