A Naturalist's Guide to the Arctic Paperback – Jan 1 1995
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
From Library Journal
Pielou (After the Ice Age, LJ 3/1/91) again focuses on the far North in this guide to the natural history of the Arctic. While broader in scope than Bryan Sage's Arctic and Its Wildlife (LJ 4/1/87), her book is not as easy to read and lacks photography. Pielou sets the stage with opening chapters on the sky, climate, sea, and earth formations. The remaining chapters cover plants, birds, mammals, fish, and insects. A map in the plant section codes the locations for all the life forms, while charts and line drawings by the author have sufficient detail to help the reader recognize the physical formation or life form. Pielou intends this guide to be taken into the field, and the book's arrangement encourages that use. Generally recommended for libraries in Canada and Alaska and where the Arctic is of interest.
Jean E. Crampon, Hancock Biology & Oceanography Lib., Univ. of Southern California, Los Angeles
Copyright 1994 Reed Business Information, Inc. --This text refers to the Hardcover edition.
From the Back Cover
Whether planning an arctic journey, doing one, or enjoying memories of one, this book is indispensable. Designed as a compact source of information for those who must limit their load--hikers, kayakers, canoeists, rafters, photographers, and naturalists of all kinds--this guide will ensure that naturalists in the Arctic miss nothing.See all Product Description
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Professional & Technical > Professional Science > Earth Sciences > Environmental Science
- Books > Science & Math > Biological Sciences
- Books > Science & Math > Earth Sciences > Environmental Science
- Books > Science & Math > Environment > Environmental Science
- Books > Science & Math > Nature & Ecology > Ecology
- Books > Travel > Polar Regions > Arctic
- Books > Travel > Reference & Tips > Reference
- Books > Travel > Reference & Tips > Tips
- Books > Travel > Specialty Travel > Ecotourism
- Books > Travel > Specialty Travel > Travel with Pets