countdown boutiques-francophones Learn more vpcflyout home All-New Kindle Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store sports tools Registry

on June 17, 2014
Bought this to replace a 5-year-old Linksys router for better range and speed. Worked great for 2 months and then died. At least it was still under warranty.

First I tried their online support, and got a fairly prompt response. (Great! So I thought....) They went through a few diagnostic things and determined that it was dead, and they would authorize me for a replacement. I just had to call a phone number to get a return code. So I called the number. Well it took 2 weeks and 5 different phone calls before I FINALLY was given my return code. The techs on the other end HAD to proceed through their pre-rehearsed scripts, and they completely disregarded any of the online support's conclusions ("That's okay, sir, but I just need to ask a few more questions..."). And each time I had to call in (multiple times for various reasons) I had to go through some / all of the script AGAIN.

I finally got my replacement, and 10 months later it has now died. No more warranty this time. Good thing I kept the old Linksys as a pinch-hitter... I will not be buying another Netgear.
on February 5, 2012
My 4 months old WDNR 3700 N600 router suddenly lost range . One has to be within 6 feet to connect. This problem is well documented on forums. Beware of their scam. The product has " 1 year hardware warranty" BUT in order to claim warranty, you have to pay $99.00 if you are out of the 90 days "service warranty" in order to get customer service to diagnose your problem and claim warranty. This is the cost of the modem itself. In essence, this router is warrantied for 90 days only, any additional warranty will cost you the price of the product itself thus doubling the cost of your router. One often get 90 days warranty on refurnished items NOT new ones. This tells you how little confidence they have in their product. Forget asking for supervisor phone numbers as they all lead to the same person that frustrates you even further. I went through the "i will transfer your call" routine many times only to get told I have to spend more money. I will junk this new router and will NEVER ever look at netgear product again.
on November 11, 2014
I run this with DD-WRT. Works pretty great, but sometimes the WDS between the two routers craps out and I have to reboot the second (repeater). This is infrequent though, once every 4 months or so. I think there might be some issues with the 5GHz band, as sometimes my devices can't connect, and I have to reboot *the devices*.
on February 10, 2012
Easy to install and get to work with my network. Lots of options and control functions. Also able to prioritize which devices get bandwidth, such as my VOIP so that there's a clear conversation. Latest security protocols (commercial level). Nice little USB storage which is accessible from my Android devices. Makes sharing content between my families devices easy, a little slow, but easy. Help line, both online and on the phone, are fast and clear.
on May 8, 2013
I have a Bell Connection Hub, which is my modem/router in one.

I wanted a new router to take over, so I bought this.

Anyone that leaves negative reviews just doesn't know how to use a router. This router works great.

I also have another older NetGear router that I've had a great experience with. I connected it to this one and used it as an access point.

I would recommend this to anyone looking for a decent priced router.
on December 29, 2012
This looks like a pretty good router; though the NetgearGenie software is pretty crappy. The web-based interface works relatively well, though the scrolling is buggy on iPad and iPhone meaning you can only use it properly on a computer. There's an iPhone app to manage it but obviously, just like the NetgearGenie software, it's very limited in what it can do, though it feels less cruddy.

All-in-all I'm not impressed at all by Netgear's software. It leaves a lot to be desired.

Also note that you cannot (yet) flash this thing with OpenWRT, there's an unofficial DDWRT image for this and the native software doesn't appear to provide support for connecting to any kind of VPN.
on March 22, 2011
I've been using the router for about a month now for web browsing, some bittorrent traffic, netflix streaming, and VPN access into work. No issues so far, the router works as advertised for the above tasks.

In terms of wireless connectivity, I've only been using the 2.4Ghz band at 802.11g speeds. The router unfortunately sits at the front of the house on the second floor as opposed to somewhere central. But even still, I've been able to connect to it from the basement at the other end of the house without any problems. Netflix streaming is working fine over the wireless connection.

The only minor issue that I have with this router is the configuration web page. It takes a relatively long time to apply new settings to the router. In my opinion, it's not a big deal since I've only ever had to set it up once and never worry about it again.

Verdict: well worth the money I spent on it to replace my old WRT54g
on May 15, 2013
A friend of mine suggested this unit, when we were on Maui...and were being tossed off the internet alot....so we ordered one...and this friend installed it. What a difference....we had faster speed as well, and stayed on the internet. So.....we ordered one for home! It is now installed and we like it.
on December 30, 2011
The router is working decently 1 month in.
The wireless N range is kind of lacking (around 50 ft in a wooden house, only 3 bar signal) but working. As for the wireless G, it has better signal and no noticeable difference in speed compare to wireless-G.(for our usage anyway lol)

The built in firmware layout is kind of distracting, but included most of the features average users will ever need.
We decided it's not worth the hassle to flash DDWRT onto it.
Also we somehow notice the QoS on the original firmware is actually doing a better job than the previous DD-WRT router, maybe just the hardware.
on December 30, 2012
This router worked flawlessly for the first 6 months. Now it is problematic and requires several resets per day. What's worse is the support from Netgear. They should replace it entirely, as it is still under warranty. However they won't even troubleshoot it as they want to charge me $129 for troubleshooting. As an IT manager I can tell you I know when a router is behaving like this its defective. Netgear consumer products and support are disposable commodities. I have replaced this garbage with an AirPort Extreme.