- Paperback: 352 pages
- Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin; Reprint edition (Feb. 1 2011)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0312671733
- ISBN-13: 978-0312671730
- Product Dimensions: 14.1 x 61.3 x 20.9 cm
- Shipping Weight: 318 g
- Average Customer Review: 1 customer review
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: #1,376,307 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
No Apology: Believe in America Paperback – Feb 1 2011
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
“Here is an accomplished executive in the private and public sectors who has done his homework. If he runs again for president in 2012, most of his agenda is on the record from the start.” ―The Washington Times
About the Author
Mitt Romney is an American businessman and former governor of Massachusetts. Romney was a candidate for the Republican nomination in the 2008 United States presidential election.See all Product description
Top Customer Reviews
In the rest of the book, Romney discusses foreign policy, the economy, entitlement programs, health care, education, energy policy and the unique strengths of American culture. Often citing examples from his experience in Massachusetts, he recommends changes in policies and laws that he believes will build America's strength. The book's Epilogue is a helpful summary, briefly restating 64 action items for a stronger America. Among them:
- Stop the trillion-dollar deficits, and spend only what we have.
- Reform entitlements to make them sustainable and to honor all of the promises that have been made to our seniors.
- Increase our investment in science and basic research.
- Reform immigration to attract and retain talent, simplify the legal processes and end illegal immigration.
- Let states craft their own programs to insure the uninsured.
- Establish a comprehensive energy security plan--a "no regrets" plan"--that frees us from dependence on oil oligopolists and that reduces our emissions of greenhouse gases.
- Stand by our allies and friends.
- Promote and defend democracy and Western values around the world.
- Maintain a defense budget of at least 4 percent of our GDP, and at least twice the actual and comparable military spending of either Russia or China.
- Push our allies to carry their fair share of the military requirements.
- Attract top students to become teachers with higher starting salaries.
- Do not allow teachers' unions to prevent the few ineffective teachers from being removed from the classroom.
- Encourage states to develop programs that prepare parents of at-risk children for education.
- Appoint judges that follow the Constitution rather than invent a new one.
Romney's book is not a complete campaign platform--the author acknowledges leaving out important policy areas. "These include Homeland Security, conservation, intelligence policies, agriculture, national infrastructure, and communications policy." It is well-written and makes Romney's position clear on the issues he does address. As with similar books by Barack Obama and John McCain I read during the last presidential campaign, it has helped me become well-informed about Romney's position on key issues. I recommend this book to anyone who wants to become similarly well-informed, whether they agree with Mitt Romney's politics or not.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com
A real shame Romney couldn't over come the media's jaundiced reporting and sabotage..and communicate his honor and constructive intentions..
Mitt should have been the Right Fit!!Diana b.
We've become jaded as a nation regarding America and politics in this country. Politicians who promise the world but fail to deliver has become the status quo. We accept that as a given. We know that when we vote, we are choosing the lesser of two evils. Not so with Mitt Romney. After reading this book, I trust him implicitly to make the right decisions for this country and for the world.
Romney knows what he is talking about when it comes to domestic and foreign policy. He puts forth solutions to our most devastating problems in this country---solutions based on his extensive experience, research, collaboration with specialists, and bipartisan thinking. Romney doesn't accept the popular ignorant assumptions that are so pervasive in this country. He doesn't bow to special interests. And he doesn't accept the status quo.
I hope Romney's bipartisan vision for this country is something for which we all strive. I wish many Americans weren't so full of hate toward opposing views that they are unwilling to even listen. Instead they demonize and drown out opposing views with a cacophony of libelous attacks. In contrast, the Romney way of working together to get things done is a model for this country and for individuals. He believes in America. So should we all.
imponderables,unknown factors,this election is up for grabs. His main advantage is his recourse to the origins of america,and devising a policy and platform and their to relocate what america should be,something his opponents he finds are not doing,since they have all been in government too long,and he will tell you that is the approach which he outlines in this book,to reverse the decline.The book is dated in terms of the military..iraq...afghanistan...and we dont know how his views have changed..Trump and paul in the republican camp have taken different points of view from him,,,and obama may score points for taking up some of these views...also military establishments in other parts of the world may have been cut for unknown reasons. Any election is up for grabs and everyone should read this as well as obama's book although they may be dated..Obama is still a seasoned opponent good debator and has made many changes in his views since the debacle in greece..who can predict this election?