- Hardcover: 567 pages
- Publisher: Edwin Mellen Pr (May 30 2009)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0773447105
- ISBN-13: 978-0773447103
- Product Dimensions: 3.2 x 16.5 x 24.1 cm
- Shipping Weight: 953 g
- Average Customer Review: Be the first to review this item
The Oldest British Prose Literature: The Compliation of the Four Branches of the Mabinogi Hardcover – May 30 2009
|New from||Used from|
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
"Behold the Dreamers" is an unforgettable debut novel about a family's struggle to make a new life in America from author Imbolo Mbue. Learn more
"[Mabinogi] has recently been the object of renewed scholarly interest, especially with regard to questions of date and authorship. By contrast, the concern of earlier scholars to disentangle and make sense of the elements of British or 'Celtic' myth in the stories has fallen out of fashion, partly as a result of an increased concentration on the texts as they stand rather than with what might or might not lie behind them, and partly through a distrust of the whole methodology of the older school of mythological criticism, as exemplified by the sometimes undisciplined speculations of the late R. S. Loomis. Tolstoy, by contrast, argues afresh for the recognition of the mythical elements in the Four Branches, not with the intention of treating those elements as the real subject of interest, of which the texts are to be seen merely as a late and garbled version, but as a means of recreating the intellectual context in which the texts were composed." - Nicolas Jacobs Jesus College, Oxford"
Look for similar items by category
- Books > History > Europe > Wales
- Books > Literature & Fiction > History & Criticism > Criticism & Theory
- Books > Literature & Fiction > History & Criticism > Movements & Periods > Medieval
- Books > Literature & Fiction > History & Criticism > Regional & Cultural > European > British & Irish
- Books > Textbooks > Humanities > Literature > English Literature