Compare Offers on Amazon
|Price:||CDN$ 13.72 & FREE Shipping on orders over CDN$ 25. Details|
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
|1. Dark Chest Of Wonders|
|2. Wish I Had An Angel|
|4. Planet Hell|
|5. Creek Mary?s Blood|
|6. The Siren|
|7. Dead Gardens|
|9. Ghost Love Score|
|10. Kuolema Tekee Taiteilijan|
|11. Higher Than Hope|
|12. White Night Fantasy|
|13. Live To Tell The Tale|
Once, the band's fifth album, is a stunning combination of brawn & beauty; a seamless blend of technical musicianship & soaring vocals, complimented by an orchestral backdrop (provided by The Academy of St. Martins in the Field who scored The Lord Of The Rings trilogy). The international #1 hit 'Nemo' is a dreamy soundscape that crescendos & crashes with operatic precision - equal parts choral decadence & muscular heft.
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
1. Dark Chest of Wonders - 5/5 - Nightwish is known for heavy starts, and I feel this one beats them all.
2. I Wish I Had An Angel - 4/5 - Similar to the "Century Child" song "End of All Hope." But still great nonetheless.
3. Nemo - 5/5 - Ah yes, the first single from the album. It's soft, it's heavy, it's Nightwish, enough said.
4. Planet Hell - 5/5 - This is where I noticed a change. Very interesting opening and the song gets better from there.
5. Creek Mary's Blood - 5/5 - Celtic-sounding, soothing, enchanting. I believe it's a short story about the 'Trail of Tears' ... Indian language spoken at the end of the song.
6. The Siren - 5/5 - Heavy and catchy... Even though Tarja just harmonizes, I still feel myself humming.
7. Dead Gardens - 4/5 - Heavy and interesting. It grows on you, I didn't like it much at first but now I like it more. I love the reference to 'Elvenpath'.
8. Romanticide - 4/5 - More harmonizing from Tarja. I can't really get into the song or chorus much, but still great.
9. Ghost Love Score - 6/5 - Yes, it gets a 6. And I know that it's 10 minutes long, but I stay attached the whole time. My favorite track on the CD.
10. Kuolema Tekee Taiteilijan - 5/5 - A slow song for every CD. This is it. Finnish is a very posessing language I have learned from this song. Way to go Tarja.
11. Higher Than Hope - 4/5 - Not really a good way to end a Nightwish CD, however, "Ghost Love Score" makes up for what it lacks. I just don't like the chorus much, it doesn't seem to match the verses.
Well that about covers it, and if it doesn't, you can always ask questions. -_- This CD is a definite buy, and if you are a Nightwish fan you MUST add this to your collection!
and symphony orchestral elements. Although many symphonic metal bands base their style solidly on classical music, Tuomas Holopainen,
principle songwriter for Nightwish, follows a theatrical, more epic approach by including or basing the band's style in Film Music or movie
soundtracks. "Ghost Love Score" is the paradigm of the genre on "Once". This song follows the epic scope and extended formal structures
characteristic of power metal while making extensive use of orchestral elements.
One reviewer's complaint that Nightwish was simply rehashing the Rock Opera of the 70s is invalid. For one, Rock Opera is a misnomer.
Rock 'Musical' might be closer. I found those attempts of the 70s to be clumsy and more than a little pretentious, much like the reviewer
who called them such. This is far superior. The origins of 'symphonic metal' are more recent. 'Believer' forshadowed it in 1991.
The gradual incorporation of a live orchestra and the influence of classical compostion became more important in the music of 'Therion'
than their death metal roots. Nightwish (and Within Temptation) formed on their heals.
Another reviewer suggested that the vocalist could not sing. Well....delivering the vocals is the virtually incomparable Tarja Turunen.
Tarja has studied singing at the prestigious Sibelius Academy and the Hochschule fur Musik Karlsruhe.Read more ›
Most recent customer reviews
This album sees Nightwish pursuing a much more primitive sound compared to prior albums - at least that is how I perceive it. Read morePublished 9 months ago by Mark G. Maier
Wishmaster was powerful, but somehow, the melody, the various orchestral moods and Tarja's most delicate and at times savage voice kept me interested for the whole 70 minutes the... Read morePublished on Feb. 15 2014 by Simon Bergeron
This is the last album made with the old lead sing, Tarja, and it is by far the best of that era for the band. Read morePublished on Aug. 19 2013 by T Olson
Les 6 premiers titres sont parmi mes préférés
Une majoritée de très bon titres
Particulièrement les Plages 2-3-4-5-6-... Read more