countdown boutiques-francophones Eco Friendly Cleaning and Care Furniture Kindle sports Tools

Format: Hardcover|Change

on June 20, 2017
extremely purpose served Super product and easy to work with brilliantly designed I was skeptical because it is so inexpensive, but not any more!! It works like a charm.Excellent product. Arrived on time. Can't fault it so far. I am completely satisfied.
on February 21, 2004
I hate to be so negative, but I did NOT like this book. Here are my primary criticisms, in no particular order.
1) The tone of the book is strange to me. The author says things like "Ever since Joshua was born, he has been making wee-wee and poo-poo into his diaper, and I, his mother have been changing him." She says things like this over and over again. It seems like she is complaining about all of the diaper changes. And where's dad? Given the wierd tone of the book, you're half expecting her to launch into an attack on the dead-beat dad of this good-for-nothing kid that keeps wee-weeing everywhere and wasting her time. :) OK, I'm exaagerating, but its just a little wierd to me.
2) She actually uses terms like "a pee-pee for making wee-wee". We raised out son to say penis and pee, so this seems absurdly babyish to me. Something more neutral would've been better.
3) As others have noted, the potty is not a standard potty chair, but a pitcher with a handle. I don't get the point of that.
A much cuter book, IMO, is Joanna Cole's My Big Boy Potty. I think its more upbeat, less strange and more useful. And she even includes helpful potty training tips at the end.
on September 17, 2002
Ummm. Potties don't look like ceramic old-fashioned chamber pots any more.
My three year old likes the story and the video, but it seems to be a waste of time in helping his toilet training. You might as well read Dr. Seuss and avoid having to read phrases like "poo-poo" and "pee-pee" and "the little hole in his bottom where the poo poo comes out".
I know I am attacking a classic, well-beloved book, and I don't have a better book to offer, but this out of date book does not charm me or help my kid.
You'd be better off simply lovingly bringing your kid to the potty every waking hour than straining through this embarrassingly wretched book.
on April 10, 2003
My then 14 month old son received this book for Christmas from his Aunt who swore by the video when she potty trained my nephew, Joshua, 12 years ago. Now Trent is 19 months old and the "Baby Book" as he calls it, is a must read every night (along with 4 or 5 five other favorites). My son loves this book because it's interactive - he loves to point to his body parts, he loves to shake his head no when Joshua tries to figure out if his new potty is a hat, a flowerpot, or a birdbath, and he loves to wave and say bye bye to Joshua's "pee pee" and "poo poo". My husband and I love this book because we have been able to bring up the issue of the "potty" in relation to everyday life and it's not a scary or foreign concept to him once we begin potty training in earnest.
on April 21, 2017
Grandkids that were going through potty training loved it!!
on July 25, 1999
I love everything about this tiny book featuring Joshua and his new potty. To begin with, the illustrations are bright and eye catching. But the very best part of the book is the cler and simple language that the author uses to tell the story. As a first-time mom, I had no idea how to speak to my son about using his little potty chair or what to say about the fluids, etc., coming out of his body. I also found myself very frustrated at the end of a long day, cleaning up an unexpected mess or changing yet another pair of training pants. However, by using the language in the book, and repeating Joshua's mother's kind words about "accidents", I was able to keep my cool and not make potty training any harder for my son. It's nice to see a potty book that shows a child having accidents occasionally but still succeeding. It's also nice to have words to explain to a small child what the new potty is and not to be scared of it. I'm actually logged on today to buy another copy for a friend! Love this book!!!
on November 23, 2003
I bought this book for my son, and now have it on my wish list for my grandson!
Not only does it facilitate communication between parent and child concerning potty training, it's also a great way to introduce kids to non-fiction books, and books that are otherwise relavent to life skills, allows parents to potty train with some humor, but breaks the ice of embarassment for those who have a bit of reservation about how to potty train.
Not only does this book almost potty train for you, it also sparks interest in other books, and in reading. The copies of the boys' and girls' versions (I have both) were read until they were falling apart (and it wasn't because they weren't made well - we literally wore these books out reading them over and over again!)
This book, and paying attention to the signs of when my son needed to go, along with a potty chair, is all we needed to get him off to potty-training success! He graduated in record time! (He was out of diapers I think by about 20 months!)
This book is a MUST HAVE for any parent potty traning a child (Well, a boy anyhow - there is also a girl's version which I used with my daughter that is just as awesome!)
If I could give this book 100 stars I would! I think it ought to be given to parents in those hospital packs that hospitals send home, or given out at pediatricians' offices when kids are due for immunizations around a year old.
Reading to kids is something that I started before they were even born, and is SO important to their speech development, and to their language development. Having a book toddlers can relate to in real life helps them understand reading is more than just about 'stories' - it can relate to real life experiences as well!
My kids are grown, and I am extatic to see these books (the boys and girls versions) are still available for my grandkids!
Blessings to the author, Alona Frankel Thank you!!!
on April 10, 2002
My 2-year old boy used to refuse to have his diaper taken off and sit on the potty. So I bought this book and showed him the pictures that Joshua sat on his potty and the picture that his Poo-Poo was right inside his potty. Then he was willing to sit on the potty like Joshua but was still nervous to make any bowel movement. So I also bought some cotton training pants since it can be easily pulled on and off and makes him aware of wetness of pants. It made him feel more comfortable than wearing diapers. If he was nervous, just pulled on his pants and tried again later. One day, he sat on the potty while watching Sesame street and made his first bowel movement in the potty. Then I showed him the pictures again and told him he did what Joshua did. He was very encouraged and making progress since then. Young kids like to learn each other, they might not accept what you said no matter what language you use but can understand the pictures.
on November 25, 2006
after looking at the first few pages of this book through the online system, I wil NOT be purchasing this book to help my son learn to potty train. "A pee-pee for making wee-wee"?!?!?! You've got to be kidding me. My son has been learning the proper names for anatomy ever since he was born, and I will not insult his intelligence by subjecting him to this book. Ridiculous!
Potty training can be a very stressful time for both child and parent. Some children seem to take to the potty naturally. Others, like my little guy, seem to find the whole process alien and rather intimidating.
Once Upon a Potty-Boy is a tell it like it is book about potty training. It discusses the parts (in children's terms) and what is going to happen. It encourages and even takes into consideration that mistakes will happen. But, when they are ready, the potty will be there.

My little guy is one of those kids that has to understand the why and how of things. If he doesn't see the point of something, he simply won't do it. Once Upon a Potty-Boy shows him step by step and explains things in a way he seemed to comprehend. At least now he's willing to try the potty. That's a big step in the right direction.