- Visit the McGraw-Hill Technical Store for resources to learn more and do more.
Oracle Database 10g Express Edition PHP Web Programming Paperback – Oct 27 2006
Special Offers and Product Promotions
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Michael McLaughlin calls his new book "PHP Web Programming" an enabling book. I'd go further and call it a desert island book. It is the only thing you'd need to carry. It has much reference material strategically placed in the text, well thought out examples, and teaches how to build applications. Want to know how to write an HTML form to do HTTP Authentication? Want to know about PHP's POSIX file function? Want to know how about the Oracle database architecture? What about PHP strings, objects, and error handling? Need to learn about Oracle's SQL, PL/SQL, LOBs, REF CURSORS...? Want to know how to use Oracle's BULK COLLECT functionality to improve performance? Or simply need to install Oracle, PHP and Apache for the first time and create a web page? It's all here. The book comes complete with a CD containing all necessary software for Windows and Linux. This includes the Oracle Database 10g Express Edition, Zend Core for Oracle's PHP stack, and the Apache web server. The CD also contains the extensive sample code and lots of useful documentation. The author's solid-gold pedigree with Oracle technologies includes working at Oracle and writing "Expert Oracle PL/SQL" for Oracle Press. This experience shows. But the Oracle-centricity of the author does not impact the PHP aspect of PHP Web Programming. The first half of its 700+ pages is devoted purely to PHP. His current position as a professor at Brigham Young University brings a thoroughness to the text, and, no doubt, his students were helpful in developing ideas. This fully-featured book will expand everyone's knowledge of Oracle and PHP. Disclaimer: This is an Oracle Press book and obviously associated with my employer. I reviewed an early contents list and have been acknowledged in the book. Christopher Jones on OPAL 20061113
From the Back Cover
The Start-to-Finish, Hands-On Guide to Web Scripting with PHP
Develop robust Web applications for Oracle databases by using PHP and the detailed information in this comprehensive and exclusive Oracle Press guide. Oracle Database 10g Express Edition PHP Web Programming covers all the bases. You'll learn how to define data types, functions, and arrays, as well as how to write enterprise applications for the Internet and e-commerce applications. Real-world examples, detailed explanations, and annotated syntax illustrate each point along the way.
- Install, configure, and maintain Oracle XE, Apache, and PHP
- Work with variables, statements, functions, classes, and objects
- Define, sort, merge, and partition PHP arrays
- Perform error management and exception handling
- Implement data I/O with local and remote programs and memory segments
- Control user access with HTTP authentication and Access Control Lists
- Ensure transaction integrity using cookies, URL rewriting, and sessions
- Establish connections to Oracle Database 10g instances
- Encrypt and secure PHP Web and e-commerce communications
- Debug applications and tune performance
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
The format of this book allows the experienced developer to go right to their area of weakness and get just the info they need for either PHP or Oracle web development. For beginners with either Oracle or PHP5, you're well served with this book alone. In particular I found the appendixes in the back a great way to learn how to develop ANY web application for oracle with examples in PHP. So an experienced PHP developer who's a deer in the headlights with databases will gain a solid understanding and real world skills.
Chapter 13 has an exhaustive look at writing a "real" database application using Oracle and PHP. Most books shy away from OCI connections, this one jumps right in and helps you understand not just the how, but the why.
You'll find this tackling of real world solutions repeated with things like handling LOBs. Again, most books do a simple case avoiding real world complications, this book attacks and conquers the details masterfully.
One VERY important point: This book applies php web development on ANY edition of Oracle, not just express. Instead it limits its scope to the foundations of the database that are included in the free Express edition, but all skills are equally relevant for standard and enterprise editions.
I can personally say that it's been something that has helped me to understand concepts in the PHP programming language. The example code used is simple to understand as well as easy to manipulate into projects that you wish to do.
The chapters have been appropriately linked together so an individual may either read the chapters in a consecutive manner and build their understanding up within PHP, or you may really focus in on a principle that you would like to apply more fully in your abilities.
Also, I want to add that the Glossary appears to be well-defined with the terms making it easier to navigate for a user's desired curriculum of study.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Computers & Technology > Databases > Database Design
- Books > Computers & Technology > Databases > Database Management Systems
- Books > Computers & Technology > Databases > Oracle
- Books > Computers & Technology > Graphic Design
- Books > Computers & Technology > Programming
- Books > Computers & Technology > Software
- Books > Computers & Technology > Web Development > Programming > PHP
- Books > Textbooks > Computer Science & Information Systems > Database Storage & Design
- Books > Textbooks > Computer Science & Information Systems > Programming Languages