Organizational Culture and Leadership Paperback – Dec 19 1996
There is a newer edition of this item:
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
From the Inside Flap
This second edition updates Schein's influential understanding of culture -- what it is, how it is created, how it evolves, and how it can be changed -- and lucidly demonstrates the crucial role leaders play in successfully applying the principles of culture to achieve their organizations' goals and fulfill their missions. Schein shows how to identify, nurture, and shape the cultures of organizations in any stage of development, and presents critical new learnings and practices in the field, including additional work on subcultures. The result is a vital aid to understanding and practicing organizational effectiveness.
From the Back Cover
An updated classic, now available in paperback: "Genuinely useful to those interested in effectiveness, leadership, and culture." -- Joan V. Gallos, instructor in management, Radcliffe Seminars, Harvard University Focusing on the complex business realities of the 1990s, organizational development pioneer Edgar H. Schein transforms the abstract concept of culture into a practical tool that managers and students can use to understand the dynamics of organizations and change.See all Product Description
Top Customer Reviews
For example an iterative approach to transformation and alignment using objective diagnostic tools (like the OCP Method developed by O'Reilly, Chatman and Caldwell) and the application of practical "bite-size" changes like leadership development/behvioral change; compensation system change, recruiting model change, organizational structure change, etc. is far more impactful and perhaps more importantly far more implementable. And, of course, as in any change effort, it is important to know whether you are making progress which is all the more reason to utilize an objective and validated measurment/diagnostic method or tool.
I really like Kaplan and Norton's work in tying Culture to Strategy in this area (check out their recent HBR article) and the work ThinkShed is doing based on O'Reilly, Chatman and Caldwell's OCP methodology...very practical, very measurable, very effective and being a web based tool, very very implementable.
Schein provides a complex model for diagnosing culture and analyzing the values and assumptions of the organization. He also emphasizes the importance of understanding the dynamics of the stage of organizational culture, prior to implementing change.
An interesting point that Schein makes is the need to periodlically "unfreeze culture" and apply a "cognitive reconstruction" -- in short repond to market pressures by becoming more competitive through organizational change.
Schein's work is very thorough and easy to read. My only criticism is the length of the work, which is the result of Schein's many real-life examples that reinforce his points.
Most recent customer reviews
Schein has spent most of his practicing life dedicated to the topic of Organizational Culture. Having read numerous books and articles pertaining to this topic, this book... Read morePublished on Nov. 16 2001 by Alexander Capaj
Mrs. Schein Organizational Culture framework must be one of the most important ones to study and understand organizational behavior. Mr. Read morePublished on June 6 1999
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Business & Investing > Management & Leadership > Leadership
- Books > Business & Investing > Management & Leadership > Management
- Books > Business & Investing > Management & Leadership > Motivational
- Books > Business & Investing > Processes & Infrastructure
- Books > Business & Investing > Skills > Negotiating
- Books > Business & Investing > Small Business & Entrepreneurship > Entrepreneurship
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Sociology > Culture
- Books > Professional & Technical > Business Management > Management & Leadership > Leadership
- Books > Professional & Technical > Business Management > Management & Leadership > Management
- Books > Professional & Technical > Business Management > Management & Leadership > Motivational
- Books > Professional & Technical > Business Management > Management & Leadership > Negotiating
- Books > Professional & Technical > Business Management > Organizational Behaviour
- Books > Textbooks > Business & Finance > Economics
- Books > Textbooks > Business & Finance > Enterpeneurship
- Books > Textbooks > Business & Finance > Management